A Clap of Change

Katharine closed her eyes and let her fingers follow the familiar path, creating a wonderful dance of perfectly combined notes. Her ears felt like they were in heaven as the gentle melody filled the small room.

Ever since she could remember, music was Katharine's passion, her reason for existing.

Unlike other pianists, she could feel the music in every fiber of her being. It invigorated her, making her feel free, able to accomplish anything.

The music was the only thing that had the power to open up her heart, to let her feel all those wonderful emotions that were otherwise locked in the deepest pits of her heart.

A huge smile adorned her face as her fingers produced the most magical notes. Playing for pleasure was what made her better than many of her pianist friends, but she didn't think about that, she just enjoyed her beautiful creations.

The others played for fame, to win a competition, or gain recognition, but Katharine played because she loved playing, that was all. However, her love shone through her work, making her music more enchanting than that of her friends.

Playing music was something she had to do. It was a part of who she was, and even if she ever tried to stop, she wasn't sure she would be able to do so.

Still, she preferred to practice her music alone. It allowed her to let down her long hair and to move her whole lithe body in the rhythm of the music.

As she finished her newest piece with a dreamy look on her face, she was startled by enthusiastic applause emanating from her room. Having in mind that she lived alone, Katharine quickly jumped from her piano, scanning her surroundings as her heart tried to stampede out of her chest.

"Bravo!" a deep voice said.

"Whose there?" Katharine squeaked, all her good mood quickly evaporated.

"Wait. You can hear me?" He asked.

"Of course I can hear you, I am not deaf. Show yourself, or I am calling the police!" Katharine said.

"Feisty, as always. Okay, okay, give me a second here. I've never done this before. They said you wouldn't be able to hear or see me," he said.

"They, who?" She asked.

However, Katharine soon forgot all about her question as she stared into a pain of familiar dark brown eyes. The man that possessed those bewitching eyes wasn't the one she had ever seen before, yet there was something strangely familiar about him.

"Since you are not running into my arms, I am guessing you don't recognize me?" He asked.

"Should I?" Katharine asked.

"Yes, I think a marriage works much better when both spouses remember each other," he said.

"Marriage? I am not marrying you. I am calling the police." Katharine said, without moving or breaking eye contact with him.

"Ah, my dear Ka'rin, I've missed you so much," he said.

"The name is Katharine, and I can assure you we've never met before," she said.

A look of utter anguish crossed his face, but he managed to compose himself very quickly.

"Very well, I am Al'ex, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance," he said.

As he said that, he took Katharine's hand in his, gently kissing it without ever breaking eye contact.

Looking into his eyes, she could feel so many different things. They were blurry and fragmented, as if in a dream, but she felt as if she knew Al'ex, as if she loved him.

"How is that possible? I have never felt love for anything but my music. How could I not know him and yet be so sure that if he were to lay his lips on mine, he would taste like a fresh ocean breeze?" Katharine wondered.

Unaware of what she was doing, Katharine gently stroked the length of his cheek, cherishing its smooth familiarity.

"How do I know you?" she asked dreamily.

"You are the woman who has my heart," he said honestly.

Katharine's fingers went down his cheeks and towards his lips, tracing his full lips with her finger, while he opened his mouth sighing loudly.

"Katharine," he said cautiously.

However, before he had the chance to say something reassuring, she gently lowered her lips to his, tasting, testing.

"I thought so. Exactly like a fresh ocean breeze," she said.

Before she could step away from the stranger who broke into her house and whom she promptly kissed, Al'ex drew her closer, kissing her deeply, making her body quiver in delight.

They were sitting on the beach, watching the suns set, as the sky turned from light green to dark green.

"You don't have to do this, you know," Al'ex said.

"I know, but I want to. It's the one thing that will ensure our happiness." Ka'rin said.

"But you'll be all alone on Earth, of all places, without any memory of me. The reincarnation will erase all of your recollections, you know?" Al'ex said.

"I know, my love, but you will find me and help me remember," she said, giving him a small peck on the lips.

"You know that's impossible; humans can't see us, and your body would be human," he said.

"I know, but my soul will always be Neptunian. I'll remember," she said.

Then he kissed her with such love and passion that she felt like she might melt from its heat.

Katharine's eyes snapped open as she broke the kiss.

"You found me! I told you it was possible." Katharine said triumphantly.

"You remember?" Al'ex exclaimed, picking her up and spinning her around.

As he put her down, she straightened her clothes and then looked at the man she loved with adoration in her eyes.

"I don't remember everything. I remember I love you, and I remember that night on the beach before I left." Katharine said.

"And our song," Al'ex said.

"Our song?" Katharine asked, surprised.

"The song you played just now is our wedding song. On Neptune, our home, every couple makes their song for their wedding. Songs are part of our souls, that's why they call us the Singing Nation." Al'ex explained.

"Oh. Can we go home now?" Katharine asked, finally understanding why she never fit in on Earth.

"Yes, my love, the Ultimate Reincarnation is over. You proved your worth. It's time to come home." Al'ex said.

Then, he shifted into his true form, shedding the human skin, and allowing his scales to shine like a rainbow, as his black wings unfurled.

Katharine managed to do the same, following his actions.

"Better?" He asked.

"Much better," she said.

"I love you," he said.

"I love you, too. I can't wait to remember all of our precious memories." Ka'rin said, as they opened their wings and flew home.