Dreams do come true-Aim to Engage 2019: LGBTQ Prompt - Families

I am not an early bird, but the voices that wake me up this morning are the sweetest melody to me.

"Don't wake up, pappa, bunny. You know how grumpy he is when he wakes up early." My husband, Leo, says.

Our little angels giggle excitedly, and I can hear the pattering of feet as they dodge my first line of defense.

"But daddy, it's Christmas!" Martin yells.

"Well, now, you've done it! You've woken up, The Grumpinator." Leo says.

That's my cue.

I jump from the bed, the children giggling and scattering away.

"You woke up the Grumpinator. Now he will get you!" I say as I run towards them.

They try to escape, but I catch them quickly. I punish them by tickling them relentlessly.

Then, Leo joins forces with the little angels turned devils, and they start tickling me.

In a matter of seconds, they claim victory.

"I surrender!" I yell.

"Victory!" Martin shouts.

Jacqueline is still giggling, not caring about their victory.

"Good morning, my love," Leo says.

He kisses me softly, and I melt as if it were our first kiss. I still can't believe that after everything that happened, we can have this, a family.

"Good morning, I see there is no stopping our darlings," I say.

"No way. Not on Christmas day! Come on get up, I've brewed some coffee, and I promised them they would get to open one present each before the rest of the family comes." He says.

"Alright, I'll be down in a moment," I say.

"Come on, little elves. Let's go! Breakfast won't make itself. Will my little helpers help me?" He asks.

"Yes, daddy!" They yell.

My heart is full as I listen to the sound of their happy voices. It's all I've ever wanted in life.

When I join them a few moments later, I am just in time for pancakes, which we devour like a pack of hungry wolves.

The day goes by quickly. Children are happy with their presents, and we are enjoying our family time.

Soon enough, the first guests start arriving.

"Mario, my son, it's good to see you." Dad's booming voice says as he hugs me.

"Leonardo, are you taking good care of my son?" Dad asks, per usual.

"Yes, sir," Leo replies, hugging him.

"You look well, my dear. It warms my heart to see you happy after everything that happened." Mom says.

"Thanks, mom," I say.

Then, she hugs me and Leo, at the same time.

Soon enough, Leo's parents arrive, and after we shake hands, the children drag them to the dining room for dinner.

Looking at my family, I feel ecstatic. Although it is not perfect, we love each other, and that's all that matters.

As I help Leo clear the table, I hear an excited chatter.

"Daddy, pappa, mistletoe," Jacqueline yells, excitedly.

I laugh, and as I kiss my husband under the mistletoe, with our family applauding in the background, I know that dreams do come true.