Dragon Slayeress- Damsel in Success contest

Once upon a time, in another world, unattainable to mere mortals, lived a princess who was neither fair nor graceful. However, she did possess a heart of gold.

Unlike other princesses who tried to live up to the perfect image their subordinates had of them, Francheska let her people see her as a real person, with all her virtues and flaws, who just happened to be born as a princess.

The chance of birth didn't make her more or less than her people. It made her different. The fact that her mother was a sorceress made her life's work different from the ones of her people.

It was her duty to let go of the darkness that resided in the heart of every human and embrace the power of white magic, a task that most would have found troublesome, but Francheska found fulfilling.

After all, she wanted to protect her people. What better way to do that than to open one's heart to the beauty of magic. As power often corrupts, people of her kingdom were lucky that her heart was the purest one in the land, one that was impossible to corrupt.

Being the protector of her people was scary, but with the support of her friends and family, she could do anything, sacrifice everything if necessary.

One day, while she was standing on the castle walls, Francheska noticed something that made her eyes bulge out in shock.

A man was running towards the castle, screaming for help. He was chased by a heinous beast that princess recognized from her grandmother's stories as a dragon.

"What is it?" Florence, her mother, asked.

Unable to speak, Francheska pointed at the man.

"Oh, no. I thought they were extinct. We should go inside." Florence said.

"What? We have to save him," Francheska said.

"No, he is as good as gone. You have to think about protecting your people, not some stray human that has brought this misfortune upon us." The queen said.

Giving her mother a last look of disapproval, Francheska jumped off the wall, using her magic to land safely. Then, she started running towards the man, using her magic to throw fireballs to confuse the dragon.

As she reached him, he collapsed in her arms.

"I got you. You are safe." She said.

As she said that, she cast a spell to slow down the dragon while she scooped up the man in her arms, flying him off, over the castle walls. She knew that the wards they had protecting the castle were strong enough to keep the dragon at bay for a while.

Delivering him to the healer, Francheska picked up her magic sword and started to leave.

"Wait! Thank you. If there is a way for me to repay you..." The man said.

"Your gratitude is payment enough," she said, leaving the room.

She slew the dragon in a matter of seconds as her people chanted.

"Francheska, the Dragon Slayeress! Francheska the Dragon Slayeress!" They said.