xviii. coming home

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN!

COMING HOME.

THE TORMENT HAS NOT STOPPED. Elena has remained angry at Gale since their last conversation, his sudden lack of empathy making her despise him. She once didn't think she was capable of not liking someone — well she's reached a new point in her life apparently. Gale Hawthorne is not the man she thought he was and whilst she'll be civil to him, more for Katniss' sake than anything, there will be no friendship there. Not after all the things he said about a boy who has been through more in his life than Gale could ever imagine.

"Tonight, we've received reports of derailed trains, of granaries on fire, and of a savage attack on the hydroelectric dam in District 5," Peeta speaks as he appears on the screen, his face more sunken in and sickly than the previous time they'd seen him. "I'm begging for restraint and decency,"

Elena blinks slowly as emotion floods her face, her fork pushing around her food rather than actually bringing it towards her to be consumed. All she wants is to see the boy happy and healthy again — she's sick of seeing his fear and hurt, it does nothing but completely destroy her emotionally. She knows Katniss feels much the same despite what others are saying.

However, soon his face is replaced with that of said Girl on Fire, her propaganda video on display for all to see. Elena has not been involved with such videos because she knows her impact would more than likely not be as beneficial and it would cause her unnecessary pain and her brother agreed. Her mind is already fragile and one move in the wrong direction will completely shatter it.

"Katniss?" The pain in Peeta's voice causes Elena's breath the hitch, her eyes welling up with tears. He looks almost as if he is hopeful she's there, that he will save her from his horrid fate. "Katniss are you there? I-is Elena with you? Finnick? Katniss, are you there?"

"Peeta, please continue. You were telling us about these savage attacks," Caesar interrupts the young boy who nods and looks back at the camera.

"The attack on the dam was a callous and inhuman act of destruction—" Peeta begins just before the video of Katniss interrupts him again. "Think about it. How will this end? What will be left? No one can survive this. No one is safe now. Not here in the Capitol. Not in any of the districts. They're coming, Katniss. They're gonna kill everyone. And in District 13 you'll be dead by morning!"

Elena breathes heavily as the boy is pulled away from the screen. Angrily, the young blonde gets to her feet and storms to the command room where she knows Coin is watching. She doesn't bother knocking, barging into the room which makes all of the people in there look at her.