xvi. manipulation

CHAPTER SIXTEEN!

MANIPULATION.

THE FOLLOWING DAYS ARE no better, the young blonde constantly waking up due to the terrifying nightmares that plague her mind. Most nights, she ends up huddled in Finnick's arms as they seek comfort from each other. It doesn't seem possible, but they're more connected than ever before — both of them so lost and in so much pain that they have no choice but to cling to one another for some reassurance.

Katniss had been to see what is left of District Twelve just recently, sneaking back in her little sister's cat who Elena has come to adore. She never had a pet back home and the way it shows her even the slightest bit of love, it does nothing but bring her happiness - as much as she can have anyway. Katniss isn't too fond of the animal, that much is clear but for Prim she'd deal with it.

"Lena? It's time to eat," Jace's voice is soft as he pulls his little sister from her thoughts. The blonde looks at him and manages a small smile and a nod, following after him to where everybody else is. "Unfortunately, I believe it'll be just as unappetising as every other meal we've had here,"

"Nothing could be worse than that monstrosity of a stew they served up last week," Elena shivers when she remembers the horrific flavours that invaded her tastebuds. "Sometimes I feel like it literally burned away any sense of taste I had left,"

Jace throws his head back and laughs, wrapping an arm around her shoulders as they walks down the halls. She moves closer to his side as people move by them, still weary of most of the people who live here. He either doesn't notice or chooses not to comment, guiding her into the room and towards the table where they normally sit. Unsurprisingly, Finnick sits there with Katniss and Gale as they quietly chat amongst themselves.

Elena slides in next to Finnick who sends her a small smile, pushing a bowl of food at her. She investigates the meal, stirring the spoon around to try and figure out what it actually is. Slowly, she scoops some up and brings it to her mouth, putting the mysterious concoction in her mouth. Finnick has to hold in a small laugh as he watches her cringe at the taste, happy to have handed the horrible food off to somebody else.

"I'm so glad nobody here pursued being a chef," She mumbles before dropping the spoon back in the bowl.

"Like you can cook. You almost burnt water when trying to make pasta once," Jace mocks playfully, feeling almost giddy when he watches her lips quirk up in a genuine smile. "Then almost set the kitchen on fire,"

"Oh please —" she goes to tease him in response when the screens flicker with the Capitol seal.

"Hello. Good evening, and a big welcome to all in Panem. I'm Caesar Flickerman. And whoever you are, whatever it is you're doing, if you're working, put down your work. If you're having dinner, stop having dinner. Because you are going to want to witness this tonight. There has been rampant speculation about what really happened
in the Quarter Quell,"