xiii. shattered illusions

CHAPTER THIRTEEN!

SHATTERED ILLUSIONS

SHATTERED ILLUSIONS.

SHE TRULY HAS NO IDEA HOW LONG she has been resting in the arms of a boy who she barely knows. His comforting whispers and sweet words are beginning to break through her shell, helping to dry up the tears that seem to be a constant occurrence. In a way, she's never felt safer — there is something about him that is just so compassionate, supporting. Elena knows that he isn't just a stranger anymore, he is a true friend, one she has grown to count on and appreciate in such a small period of time.

The screeches of Prim, Annie and Everett still fill the air, each one is more painful than the last. Katniss and Finnick are still yet to return, both of them chasing the voices of their loved ones whilst Elena stays behind — thinking herself a coward for not going to rescue the boy she loves. She's very much aware he's not really there, but that does nothing to ease the guilt that is bubbling within her.

"Everett," she whimpers his name once again and feels Peeta's arms tighten around her more if it's even possible. Hearing his cries all over again only bring back painful memories, the same ones she's been trying to hide away in the back of her mind for years now.

"It's not real," Peeta's voice is soft as if he's talking to a hurt child, which in reality is exactly what she is. Seventeen and having to see such things is unfathomable. "He's not really here, I promise you nobody is getting hurt,"

"T-they already hurt him. It's just replaying for me," Elena sobs, her eyes beginning to hurt from the amount of tears she's cried. "Why can't they leave him in peace?"

For the last two years, even more so before Katniss and Peeta won their games, all the Capitol did was broadcast his death and their final moments together. The two of them were the original star-crossed lovers, the teenagers who stupidly fell in love with each other in a horrible situation — one they knew would not end with both of them alive. It makes her envious of the District Twelve victors, the both of them getting to come out together whilst she had to watch Everett die in her arms. Why were they more important?

Why didn't Everett matter as much to them?

The birds seem to be getting closer, her eyes moving to where she sees Katniss and Finnick. Both of them are frantic as they try to flee but they're blocked by a force field, it stops them from returning to their allies. Peeta tries his best to console his district partner as he keeps a hold of the small blonde — he knows she needs Finnick and yet he cannot grant the request.

The older man looks at the distressed blonde and places his hand against the force field. Elena sniffles and lifts hers to the other side, if there was no barrier they would be touching.