Chapter 7

Chapter 7

I felt the pain before I even opened my eyes. That striking pain behind my eyes, pounding in the back of my head and the throbbing in my temples. My head felt heavy like all the alcohol from last night made it gain weight. I groaned in pain as my eyes fluttered open and the barbarous rays of the sun struck my pupils.

I squint them shut again. My temples pounded, making me dizzy. I found myself between drunk and sober. A state between awake and asleep. A reality where I felt nothing yet everything and heard the tiniest sounds while too far gone to hear them aloud.

I stirred beneath the sheets, relying completely on my sense of touch to get me into a comfortable position where I wasn't hearing my heartbeat in my ears, or feeling the brutality of the sheets against my sensitive skin. I failed and fell on the floor, colliding with the carpet in one loud thud.

I groaned again.

"Well, you look like crap."

I remained where I fell. My face squished up against the textured carpet and my body burning and freezing simultaneously under the covers. Maybe if I pretended she wasn't there, then she would disappear. I could still be drunk so clearly she was a figment of my imagination.

Clearly.

But I could smell the aromatic scent of her Tambrién penetrating my brain through the effects of the alcohol, inducing me into an even more dream-like state.

The last thing I wanted right now was to deal with her and the bullshit that came along with her, but somehow my mind continued to torture me. Digging up memories I'd hidden away a long time ago to find peace. Memories that haunted me for days prevented me from eating or sleeping, from functioning at all. Memories that I hoped I could get rid of forever but still wanted to hang on to. For old-time's sake.

Suddenly, I was reliving every moment since I was seven years old until now. Every moment where I was pathetically smiling at her, thinking that we'd be best friends forever. Even the moment when she had that smug smile on her face while she shoved me into a locker. And the moment I wasted wondering what I ever did to her for her to hate me.

Then, as if those memories weren't enough, memories from the party started flooding back to me. No, it was worse than a simple flood. A rush of adrenaline and excitement filled me then. The need to enjoy myself with Jessie.

Jessie?

Where was she?

Where was I?

I opened one eye to peek around, noting how strangely expensive everything was. Nothing looked familiar. This was not Jessie's house.

"You're at my penthouse." She told me as if she guessed what I was thinking.

I turned to her, barely able to open my eyes, but I caught a good enough glimpse at her to recognise the amusement in her eyes as she looked down at me from where she stood a couple of feet away, wearing nothing but a skimpy bootie short and a pink tank top.

My stomach somersaulted at the sight of her, but all I wanted to do was shove her to the back of my mind, where I kept all my junk memories of her.

"Why am I here?" I asked, as confident as my voice would allow. But she just shrugged. A simple Heidi-I-don't-give-a-crap shrug.

"Where's Jessie?" I continued. "Where's Aria?"

"Aria is still asleep."

I glared at her. Okay, so now she answers.

"Where's Jessie?"

She hesitated, looking everywhere around the room but at me. For a split second, she looked thrown off balance, worried even. "I don't know."