Chapter 36

Chapter 36

Henry’s birthday was right on spring break and most of the time Heidi was busy trying to plan something for him. She didn’t want a party but her mother insisted, so she gave in, eventually. I had convinced my mother to let me stay with Heidi one weekend a month and luckily this weekend was that weekend.

“I have good news.” Heidi told me through the phone. I was on my way to her house and my mother was driving. Yes, my mother.

We both thought it was time our families got aquatinted and for my mother to finally meet Heidi’s mom since they’ve never met. Plus, my mother has been bugging me about getting to know Heidi’s family for a while.

Today was the day.

I directed my mother where to go as I replied to the sweet voice on the other end of the phone. “You sound so excited. What happened?”

She squealed through the speaker, and I had to move it away from my ear. “My manager called and I get to go to Italy this summer for fashion week. I don’t have all the details yet but I get to take two people with me.”

 “You’re going to Italy!” My mother looked at me weird, Carly looked at me weird. Then, suddenly, my excitement faded and sadness replaced it. “I’m jealous.”

“You don’t nee to be. I want you to come with me. Please?”

My smile returned. “Consider my bags packed.” Mom looked at me again and I pretended not to see, but she wasn’t ignoring me.

“Planning to go somewhere?” She asked.

I covered the speaker of my phone as I turned to her. “Please, can I go to Italy with Heidi this summer?” she was about to answer when I cut her off. “Don’t answer now. Think about it please and while you’re thinking about it think about the fact that I’m leaving for college at the end of summer and will be on my own so it would be nice to kind of slowly transition into that.”

I told her directing that we were here. She parked the car and turned to look at me. “I don’t appreciate the guilt trip Danica,”

I smiled at her and motioned for mother to wind the window down so I could talk to Geoff. Of course, I’d have no problem getting through if I was driving my car, but this vehicle was strange and he had to take precautions. I shoved my head through the window and smiled at him. “Hey, Geoff, it’s me.”

“Oh, you’re at the gate.” Heidi noticed now.

Geoff nodded at me and gestured us forward. “Yeah, we’re here.”  

“Awesome.” The phone went dead after she said that, and I moved it from my ear, still smiling. My mother eyed me through the mirror as we looked for somewhere to park.

There were a lot of cars and suddenly her long driveway didn’t seem so long anymore.