Chapter 3

Clove's POV:

When I woke up, I was in an uncomfortable bed in what looked like a hospital. When I sat up I realised that I was still at the academy, but I was in the small hospital part of it. A lot of people get hurt in training, so instead of having to bring them to the actual hospital they built a small hospital wing for all of the injured people. I looked around and noticed that Cato was laying in the bed next to mine. He looked different than when we were fighting. He looked peaceful. The light that came from the window shone on his face and made him look slightly god like. All of his muscles were relaxed and he looked slightly handsome with all of his bruises.What's wrong with me? I'm Clove Kentwell. Future career and victor. I should not be feeling these things.

At times like this I wished that Rose was still alive.

Flashback

Rose had volunteered for the Hunger Games and she was in the finale. It was her against the boy from 1. I could tell that she had grown to like this boy as more than friends, but she was raised to kill. Surely she could kill this boy. As I watched I saw them hug for the last time and tears started forming in her eyes. I then knew she couldn't kill him. She liked him too much for that. She might've even loved him.

When I looked at him, I could tell that he didn't feel the same way about her, but she was blinded by love. She couldn't see that she was being used. She thought that he genuinely liked her. As she leaned in and kissed his cheek he took his sword and stabbed her in the back. I saw her take her final breath, before falling to the ground. The boy didn't look sad at all. He looked happy. I loathed this boy for taking my sister's life. She was the best person in my life, and now she's gone. She did everything for me. Mum was never around because of her job, so she was like a mother to me. I felt a tear fall down my cheek. My mother was bawling her eyes out so I went over and hugged her. I felt empty inside.

End of flashback

I had no idea what these feelings were but I knew that Rose would. I don't like Cato, do I? No, that's impossible. I looked at my watch and saw that it was only 5:00 pm, so I got off the bed to do some more training. When I entered, all eyes were on me. I glared at everyone that stared at me and they all shrunk back in fear. I loved this feeling. It was the feeling of power.

I casually walked over to Rowena and Joan and they stared at me like I was crazy. "What are you doing here? You need to rest." Rowena scolded. She was always the motherly one out of the three of us. Joan was more of the popular person that knew everything about everyone. I was the friend that didn't care and was completely focused on the games.

"I need to train if I'm going to volunteer next year." I said as I walked to the knife throwing station.

"No, you need to rest. He nearly killed you." Rowena said as I grabbed a knife.

"Row's right." Joan said. Rowena's nickname is Row because Rowena is too long.

"Why don't I just leave early today?" I suggested so that they would let me practice in peace.

"Fine, but you're leaving at 6:00 pm." Rowena instructed.

"As if." I scoffed. "I'll leave at 8:00 pm." I said. It was only half an hour earlier, but I really need to practice.

"7:30 pm." Rowena instructed.

"Whatever." I replied as I threw a knife. After a while I moved to the spear station. It was my second best weapon. Swords were my worst. I threw a few spears and before I knew it it was 7:30 pm. I hoped that Rowena had forgotten and continued practicing. After approximately 10 minutes, I felt someone tug on the end of the spear I was about to throw.