15 - Fimmtánda

Valente and Sven helped me fix up the place till 3 am in the morning. It wasn't good enough but it was all three exhausted people could manage.

Sven had passed out on the couch in the living room while Valente and I walked back to my room.

"What time is the flight?" I asked him, as he sat on the bed.

"It's at 8. We should leave in about two hours," he said.

I looked at him and sighed.

"You should rest. I'll pack a bit," I told him.

He just shook his head.

"You come here right now," he said, getting up and walking towards me. He held my hands as he reached me, and pulled me back to the bed with him.

"You need to rest too," he whispered softly.

"But, I need to-"

"Shh," he said, lying down next to me, and pulling a warm sheet over us. "I've set the alarms. At least one of us will wake up on time," he said half yawning, and hugging me from behind.

I relaxed just a little bit, but I knew at this moment, even him being next to me wasn't enough to completely push my anxiety away.

It didn't take more than a few minutes for Valente to fall asleep. I knew he was absolutely exhausted.

But try as I may, sleep evaded me consistently.

I couldn't stop thinking about how we were going to get there, and what would happen when we finally did. I didn't even let my mind wander to what would happen when I saw Sylvia.

I thought about the forest behind my home, Buri, and the cottage, Gridastadur. I didn't pay much attention to how big a part the cottage played in my life since I had left Fathilagt. It was a recurring dream that took over all my other subconscious thoughts and I could never explain why.

I thought about how I was important to the Palace somehow. And what my lineage could possibly mean.

All of my thoughts ended with a question mark, not a period. It was unnerving to have so many questions and not as many answers.

But at this point I knew I had to be patient.

And I had to be stronger than this.

...

I was still wide awake and lost in my thoughts when Valente's alarm rang through the quiet apartment.

I heard a groan from the living room and then a sudden thud, indicating that Sven had fallen off of the couch that he was sleeping in.

"Ow!" his voice drifted through my bedroom door, confirming my thoughts.

I started to get up to go take a look, but Valente's arm tightened around my waist.

"He's fine," Valente's sleepy, husky voice came from beside me.

"Am not!" Sven screamed from the living room, causing us both to chuckle.

"Some big bad Beta he is," Valente replied, rolling his eyes.

I couldn't help but smile.

"It's time to get up anyway," I whispered to my mate, reaching over him to turn the dreadful alarm off.

It was still dark out, but I knew the sky would lighten up soon.

I pulled away from a reluctant Valente, to walk out and find Sven on the floor in a crumpled mess, too lazy to get up.