6 - Sjötta

I woke up to find Emery bringing in a covered tray of breakfast.

I remembered Valente staying with me last night even as my eyes had started to close, and the feel of his lips on my forehead just before I had fallen fast asleep.

Thinking about him brought a smile to my face that I tried to hide as Emery did some general check-ups.

She looked at the wound on my thigh and was surprised to find that it had healed much faster than she'd expected it to.

"At the rate it was going, I thought it'd take another two to three days to reach this point," she had said. "Perhaps a good night's sleep did the trick."

"A good night's sleep, huh?" Ima replied.

We both knew our mate's presence had strengthened Imadis, and had thus enhanced my ability to heal.

But we couldn't admit it out loud, so I just nodded in response.

Emery let me eat, before walking me to the washroom in the infirmary to freshen up.

Once I was done, she brought me back to my room where I had some unexpected guests.

Zula and Alfie sat waiting near my bed, conversing.

They both immediately wore a wide smile when they saw me enter, as if they'd been waiting for a long time, even though it hadn't been that long since I left the room.

Emery helped me get on the bed again, and I was able to sit properly without the wound hurting way too much.

I thanked her for all her help as she left.

"How are you doing today darling?" Zula asked.

"Much better now, thank you," I replied.

I didn't know how to talk to these people who ruled Sgriosaire. I wasn't looking for an apology right now, or anything at all. I just wanted them gone.

"Zula and I were talking," Alfie said, "and we thought that we should make an offer to you too."

I raised an eyebrow at them, in confusion.

"We know Valente has offered to take you to his pack. But if you'd prefer, you can come to ours instead," Alfie said, in explanation.

"Yes. You see, Alfie and I were just a little worried for you going to such a new place, on your own. And Valente seems all too eager to help," Zula said, while Alfie just nodded his head.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I asked, sounding genuinely baffled.

Zula's voice turned into a whisper.

"Valente, well, we haven't heard too many great things about him. And he doesn't even have a mate," Zula said in a low voice.

What are these two trying to do?

"Rayne, I'm not questioning his enthusiasm to take you with him," Alfie said. "But I guess, in a way, I am."

Ah. So that's what it is.

I could already hear Imadis growling at these baseless words against our mate. It was as if they half-expected me to react. Wanted me to react. 

"Come with us. I'll take full responsibility for your protection," Zula said, giving me a wide, almost fake smile.

Is this what it all was? Trying to butter me into going with them by being nice? Tricking me into thinking Valente is a bad man?

"But why?" Ima asked in my mind. "Why all the effort?"

"I'm a liability to your operation. I wasn't even a part of the equation until a few days ago, or even until last night," I said, almost thoughtfully. "Why would you want me to come with you?"

"Oh honey, we're just asking out of concern," Zula said.

You openly accused me of lying just last night and now you're concerned about me?

"I've spoken to Valente about the matter and have already made a decision. Thank you for the offer but, I'll be going to Fathilagt," I said, quite simply.

"'Valente'" Alfie said, a finger on his lips, and emphasis on the name.

"Maybe you've been away from a pack so long, you've forgotten how to address an Alpha," he said, almost casually, but it made me realize how careless I'd been.

I couldn't give any explanation to this man, as to why I said my mate's name without his title. So I remained quiet, hoping Alfie would let it slide, but also highly doubting it.

"Are you sure you'd rather go with Valente, than with us?" Alfie asked me.

I didn't want to look him in the eye anymore. I felt as if he and his mate could take one look at my face and that would be enough for them to see right through me, through to all my hidden secrets.

I nodded my head to say yes.

Alfie looked at Zula, and gave her a knowing smile, as if they'd reached some conclusion that I was an outsider to.

"Interesting," he said, after a long pause.
"Very interesting indeed."