CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

Mr. Perry pushed his way through the crowd, dragging Neil behind him. 

"Excuse me, excuse me."

"Neil, you were great," Camille called as she and Todd attempted to push their way through the hordes of people.

"I can't, guys," he told them, hating their confused and disappointed looks. Todd nudged Cami and pointed to Mr. Perry, whose face was iron in his determination to leave.

"Neil!" Charlie called, slightly irritated at the lack of fight in his friend. 

They finally caught up to the father and son outside. Mr. Keating grabbed Neil's arm as he made to follow his father into a car. 

"Neil. Neil. You have the gift. What a performance You left even me speechless. You have to stay with-"

Mr. Perry cut in abruptly.

"Get in the car. Keating, you stay away from my son."

Neil made to follow his dad but stopped. What was stopping him from going with his friends? 

"Father-"

"In. The. Car."

"Father, why can't I-"

"Get in the damn car, Neil."

"No."

Mr. Perry blinked. 

"I'm gonna stay here, with Todd and Cami and Charlie and the others."

"Don't you dare disrespect-"

"I'm not disrespecting you, I'm making my own choices."

Turning around, he saw his friends and teacher, offering huge grins. And he knew he would always have a home with them, no matter what his parents said. 

"Goodnight, father."

Mr. Perry was left standing next to his car, a mixture of fury and regret etched across his face.

Neil slung his arms around Todd and Cami's shoulders, smiling. It was the greatest night of his life.

-------------------------------------------

The poets convened in the cave that night to celebrate Neil's debut performance. Charlie managed to obtain champagne from who knows where and they lit candles.

Looking around at his friends, Neil's gaze landed on Todd. Todd, Todd, Todd. Well, there was no time like the present, he thought. He watched as he laughed at some dumb joke Charlie made, the way his hair fluttered in the slight winter breeze. 

"Carpe diem," Scarlett whispered next to him, noticing his prolonged stare. He laughed softly. 

"You too," he smirked, gesturing to Camille. 

"HOW DID YOU-" she was yelling in a whisper. 

"You're not exactly subtle Scar, Cami's just oblivious."