CHAPTER EIGHT

In the library, the group gathered around a map, trying to figure out the best course to the cave. 

"Okay, it's right there,"Neil whispered, trying not to attract McAllister's attention to their table.

"Follow the stream to the waterfall, it's got to be on the banks."

'Cameron looked wary. 

"I don't know guys, this is starting to sound dangerous."

Charlie rolled his eyes. 

"Well, why don't you just stay home," he offered snarkily. 

"For God's sake, stop chattering and sit down." McAllister had finally taken notice of them.

Everyone sat back down, except for Lilith and Neil. They hurried over to Todd, who was sitting alone at another table.

"Todd, are you coming tonight?"

"No."

"Why not? God, you were there, you heard Keating. Don't you wanna do something about it?" Neil asked, slightly shocked of Todd's seeming lack of interest. 

"Yes, but-"

"But what?" Lilith asked gently, forcing Todd to look her in the eyes. 

"Keating said everyone took turns reading and I don't want to do that," he let out in one breath. 

"Gosh, you really have a problem with that," Neil said.

Lilith smacked him.

"What if you didn't have to read?" She said, looking Todd directly in the eye. 

"Yeah!" Neil agreed. 

"That's not how it works," the shy boy muttered, shaking his head. 

"Forget how it works! I'm sure no one will mind," Lilith reassured him.

"What are you gonna do, go up and ask them?" Todd replied in a mocking tone. 

She smiled sweetly. Almost too sweetly. 

"Yes."

And with that, she was up, leaving a very worried Todd and a slightly amused Neil. Not a minute later, Lilith was back, eyes shining. 

"You're in."

----------------------------------------------------------------

Neil stood in his dorm doorway, waiting for the thumbs-up from Cameron and Charlie. Todd came and stood next to him, looking as well. Internally Neil grinned. Good on Todd for doing something for himself and not his parents. 

Cameron gave him the thumbs up, and Neil retreated back into his and Todd's room.  He took his flashlight and cloak out of the closet in preparation, and noticed something that did not look familiar. The something was a book. A book titled 'Five Centuries of Verse.' Opening it, Neil saw 'John Keating' written in the top right corner, as well as some Thoreau inscribed beneath the title.