Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Mitchel rushed in his car to get home, take a shower, and get dressed up for Ellie. She would love him in his jeans and t-shirts but he decided to put the effort for their date that was long overdue. He arrived home only a few minutes after leaving, maneuvering through the streets and speeding, his fear of being pulled over being trumped by his fear of disappointing Ellie. She wouldn’t mind if he wasn’t there at seven on the dot but he told himself he needed to be for being a bad boyfriend. He had ignored her all summer and on his first day back had ignored her again. He wasn’t off to a good start. So when he got home, he threw the door open and unbuckled himself before he had even shut off the car. He ran up the two stone steps of his front porch and went to open the large navy painted wood door only to find it locked. He looked back, finally noticing his mother’s car was not in the driveway yet; she was either still at work picking up some overtime or heading home in bad traffic. He didn’t know because he hadn’t received a call but that was the last thing on his mind as he fished through his pockets looking for his key. When he got it out he placed it in the brass keyhole and spun it so hard he was surprised it was still in one piece. Nonetheless, he opened the door, slamming it harshly behind him.

He ran up the cherry wood staircase that spiraled towards the middle two steps at a time, tripping at the last step and landing on his chest on the soft cream carpet of his top floor. He got up hastily, going to his room and ripping off his clothes, throwing them in a growing pile in the corner that he would take care of later. He hopped into his shower, washing himself thoroughly for about ten minutes (it was the most he could spare) before exiting into the steamy bathroom with the towel drying every part of his body as quickly as possible. He wiped the water off the mirror with the back of his hand and started to comb his hair roughly to one side with a thick bristled brush. His towel fell from his hips and being home alone he kicked it off to the side, getting ready in the nude. He found himself thinking ahead to doing this kind of thing when Ellie and he got more serious, when they lived together and got married. He would get up first, let her sleep in, and shower, coming out nude because they would be that comfortable with one another. He saw himself smiling as he half blow dried his sloppy soaking hair, watching the strands flail off to the wrong side each time the hairdryer moved to a new section.

With most of his hair just damp, he rushed to his room. He planned to take her to a nice restaurant, one that had opened just before the end of July that he was sure she wouldn’t have gone to yet. They would both get the chance to try something new and talk, because what else were they to do in a restaurant but talk to each other. He looked through his drawers and closet trying to decide would look classy and elegant without looking too formal, as if he was going to propose. He already imagined living together with them lounging naked, though he had no idea what she looked like nude, so to look ready to propose would have been to creepy. He decided to wear a nice white dress shirt with the top button undone and a thin black tie wrapped loosely around his neck with the black blazer he had just bought. Now all he had to decide was what pants to wear; he wanted jean but all of his blue jeans looked too casual. He couldn’t wear coloured jeans either. He looked at his dress pants, depressed that he would have to wear them, until he thought about raiding his father’s closet. He didn’t take many clothes with him as he was in uniform most of the time so he was sure to have some nice dark coloured jeans Mitchel’s mom had bought for him to wear out with her. In his boxers he darted across the hall, searching through the drawers for his father’s jeans. He found them in the fourth drawer he opened, with a nice dark blue pair sitting directly under the top pair. They were the perfect colour. He tried them on but his father was a little bigger than him so he had to belt the pants. Still when he put on the shirt and tie, tucked them neatly into the jeans and put on the jacket, Mitchel could have sworn he was dressed by the fashion designers at GQ magazine. He did a miniature walk down the runaway in front of his mirror.