Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Walking down the stairs and through the heavy metal doors coated in dark red paint to match the school’s official colours, he got two steps in before Jordan knocked him onto his side.

“What the hell was that?” Mitchel huffed; Jordan’s weight along with his heavy backpack full of textbooks pushing down on him was making it hard to breath. “And where did you even come from?”

“I was darting at you from down the halls.” Jordan said still laying onto of a squirming and uncomfortable Mitchel. “I’m surprised you didn’t hear me coming, my steps echoed all across the floor.” Jordan finally pulled himself off Mitchel but instead of helping him up, flipped him onto his back and put his foot over Mitchel’s limp body like a conqueror claiming his land. Mitchel was in even more pain now, the heel of his friend’s foot pushing straight into his gut. Instead of wiggling free, which would only cause more suffering, he pulled his leg out from under him; effectively leaving Jordan sprawled on the floor while Mitchel dragged his body across the floor then upright with difficulty. Jordan still lay on the floor but he was laughing hard, his loud boisterous laugh filling the school’s second floor. Teachers glared out of their offices at the distraction that was preventing them from preparing for the next class. Jordan only laughed harder at their looks. He then rolled onto his stomach, pushed himself onto his arms and toes then pushed his body backwards and upwards until he stood upright.

“That was too good,” he said leading Mitchel to their next class, the only class the two had alone. “So,” he started with a curious look on his face, almost mischievous but more playful. Mitchel didn’t know whether to be scared. He couldn’t escape though; Jordan’s arm on his shoulder prevented him from running. “What was that about with Noel upstairs?”

Mitchel stared blankly, not knowing how to answer this without seeming weird. He didn’t even know that Jordan was watching him. He thought he had left by the time he caught up to Noel.

“Cause if you ask me, it looked like you were attacking him.” Jordan joked and he felt his anger rise. He wasn’t harassing him. “I mean you went up to him and he cowered away from you like kryptonite.”

“I just wanted to talk to him, make a friend because I figured he would need and want one being new and all.” Mitchel felt proud of that answer, it made him seem like that good, caring guy instead of a bully like Jordan made him out to be.

“Ain’t that sweet?” Jordan said, pinching both of his cheeks, fiddling with the skin in between his forefinger and thumb. It hurt badly.

“Stop that,” Mitchel said, breaking free of Jordan and walking backwards to face him. “I was trying to be nice.”

“You’re always trying to be nice. I don’t know why you try to please everyone.” Jordan sauntered away, his hips swaying slightly, taunting Mitchel. He followed after his friend into their silent class. It was going to be a long day, Mitchel thought seeing the depressing features on his classmates’ faces.

Mitchel was right about the day going by so slow. His second class had a supply teacher who was so strict that he figured she’d probably been taken advantage of when she first supplied a class so she became the tough teacher so students didn’t try to cross her. It worked as they were all in silence so thick they got lost in the fog on their way back to the normal high school world of chatter and ear-splitting laughter. His third class was no better, the teacher a new father to a premature baby that wouldn’t sleep more than an hour or two every night so he had come in to class grumpy all week. That week, in between actual lessons, he would give life lessons to warn people about ‘the dangers of becoming a parent.’ Today’s was how sometimes you’ll want to kill your children; it traumatized and caused so many unanswerable questions within the class. Since Mitchel was alone in that class, he had no one to make light of the situation with so he sat hearing every dreadful word. Needless to say, when that class ended he ran like an Italian army deserter.