Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Mitchel got into his car parked in his driveway with the intention of searching for somewhere to go that night but, with thoughts and fears about his looming date with Ellie and obsession about Noel and any possible, convoluted connection he could make to his summer camp mystery boy, he decided to head to Jordan’s house. He had a few hours to kill and Jordan always provided mind-numbing stimulation that got his thoughts off anything but the moment he watched, heard, smelled, sometimes tasted, or felt unfolding in front of him. They would do weird, goofy and downright disgusting things when put together; as if they reverted back to when they were in that stage of life, around three, when they wanted to do and experience everything in the world. But they were cool with being children with one another. Mitchel needed to be a child.

He walked up to Jordan’s door on a whim, checking whether he had decided to lock it today. When he discovered it opened, Mitchel thought to scare Jordan. He crept up the stairs silently, being mindful of every creak and foot step as to not give himself away. As he approached his unknowing friend’s half-opened door, he saw his target lying on the large bed, head hanging upside down off the side opposite of the door leaving him vulnerable play a video game on a handheld console. Music played in the background making him unaware of Mitchel’s steps toward him and helping drown out sounds coming from those menacing steps. Suddenly, Mitchel pounced onto his friend, digging his hand straight into his gut laughing though Jordan yelped and coughed, losing the comfortable breathing pattern he had before the attack. He soon caught on to what Mitchel had done, then flipped his friend on his back, knees holding his lower body still and Jordan’s hands pining Mitchel’s above his head.

“Why do you always end up below me?” Jordan snickered.

“Because you have a dominatrix fetish?” Mitchel retorted, hoping to freak his friend out but instead he just leaned in to his ear.

“Or you like being pleasured.” Jordan whispered, blowing into his ear for extra effect that made Mitchel squirm uncomfortably underneath him. “Did you lock the door?”

“Yeah, but you really need to do that yourself. What if I actually came to kill you?” Mitchel raised his eyebrow.

Jordan shrugged nonchalantly, as if the prospect of a murderer walking into his home was every day chatter among people. “If it was you, I’d say I would be fine. I stopped you pretty fast. If it was someone else, I might be a bit more inclined to be scared. But I’d still kick ass until my last breath.”

Mitchel groaned as the position become really weird for him. He didn’t really find it odd for them to be on top of each other; they did it quite naturally. He just felt odd that he liked being held down. Maybe, Mitchel thought, that’s something to try with Ellie later. Still he scoffed at Jordan’s bravado, “Always the martyr, always the dead.”

“Was that supposed to be all deep and symbolic and poetic and shit?”

“Not really, it just happened to turn out that way.” Jordan climbed off Mitchel and lay down on his bed next to him.

“So what happened for you to come here today?” Jordan inquired. They hadn’t spent time together like this since the end of school last June. Truthfully, Mitchel regretted not being able to spend so many lazy days with his friends. He barely saw Ellie and Jordan in July between work and upgrading his Math mark in summer school (which only helped him gain an extra six percent to round off at seventy-five but better than doing nothing). Then August came and he was set to enjoy some down time when his father got leave so again the best laid plans always went astray. So now, he started the cycle again.

“I have a date with Ellie tonight but I needed a distraction from freaking out over how to make this perfect.”

“A few hours of meaningless conversation and junk food, done and done.” Jordan said exaggeratedly, jumping off his bed and making his way downstairs to grab those snacks. He returned to his room with a large bag of salt and vinegar chips, some assorted candy, mostly chocolate bars or pieces, and some popcorn.