▲ Friendship ▲

》In psychology, friendship is a voluntary, long-term relationship between two or more individuals, marked by a bond of affection and mutual respect.

People with friends and close confidants tend to be more satisfied with their lives and are less likely to experience depression. They also have a lower risk of death from all causes, including heart problems and various chronic diseases.

On the other hand, people with low social connection—due to isolation, loneliness, or poor-quality relationships—face an increased risk of premature death.

Fortunately, research suggests that friendships can be formed and maintained at any age. Relationships with friends can strengthen or substitute for romantic relationships, and even minimal social interactions can have a powerful impact.

There are scientific criteria for friendship. What sets a true friend apart from just an acquaintance? Surprisingly, science has the answer. Behavioral scientists and psychologists define a close friendship as a relationship characterized by a lasting bond of sacrifice and shared experiences. A true friend prioritizes your happiness, never asks you to compromise your principles for the sake of the friendship, and you genuinely miss them when they're not around.

How Do I Make Friends as an Adult?
Adult friendships don't form automatically—they need intention, time, and effort. Take the initiative by exploring local interest groups or inviting a coworker for coffee. As you get to know someone, validate them by expressing enthusiasm for their interests or giving compliments. Be consistent and dependable to strengthen the connection.

A study at the University of Wisconsin indicates that friendships between men and women are a relatively recent phenomenon, and it is impossible to completely avoid moments of seduction and sexual tension.

Friendship and work can complement each other. Studies show that having friends helps you find work and boosts happiness, creativity, productivity, and competitiveness in the office. In countries like India and Indonesia, some people feel their work friends understand them better than other friends or even their spouse.

However, be cautious as not everyone at work is equal. A friendship with your boss can jeopardize both your bond and your credibility. Ambition can also strain relationships: a LinkedIn study found that 68% of people born after 1980 would sacrifice a friendship for a promotion.

Animals Have Friends, Too!
Several studies have shown that animals like chimpanzees, baboons, horses, hyenas, elephants, bats, and dolphins can form lifelong friendships with individuals from other species.

Anthropologist Robin Dunbar has studied the effect that love has on friendship and the results are clear: when a new person enters into your life, he or she displaces two others in your close circle, usually a family member or a friend.

Friendships hold particular importance, especially for women. According to a 2012 study at the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health at University College London, family bonds are more crucial for men. The study, which examined 6,500 British men born in 1958, concluded that marriage is most beneficial for men's mental health, reinforcing their family ties. However, the opposite effect was observed for women, who tended to lose friends due to time constraints after marriage.

》In 2013, research at the University of California, San Diego found that people appear more attractive in a group, known as the 'cheerleader effect.' This phenomenon occurs because the visual system computes ensemble representations of faces presented in a group, raising the overall attractiveness of the group.