14 - The Death of a Father

Valeria

I sob continuously as the doctors take away my father's dead body. It happened very fast, the beeping sounds became fast and the next thing I know, my father is dead.

His body couldn't take it. How could it?

Lorenzo never left my side. He kept hugging me as I sobbed and I didn't care that he was my employer. Well, the son of my employer.

"Valeria!" Sophia calls as she runs my way. She takes me from Lorenzo and hugs me. Sarah and Valentina came with her too.

"Oh, honey, I am so sorry for your loss." Mrs. Gonzalez hugs me when Sophia let go.

Sarah also gives me a hug and wishes me her condolences.

I keep crying, this time, in Valentina's embrace. She tells the rest to give me privacy, so they walk out of the hospital and wait for us to come.

"I promise you, Valeria, we will find your mother." Mrs. Gonzalez promises as she caresses my hair. "My son is working on finding her, don't you worry."

"What's the point? He's dead...I am alone now, Mrs. Gonzalez..." I sob, tightening my hold on her as if she's someone I am comfortable with. At this point, I don't care what I do because I have lost the only person who loves me.

"Don't say that, you have us, Valeria."

I don't say anything because I don't want to be rude. As much as I know Mrs. Gonzalez loves me, I will always be her maid, nothing more. Even to Sophia, I am her maid, not her friend. Just thinking about it makes me sob harder because I know deep down that I am all alone. Even my mother didn't turn out to be a decent person. The only person now that I know is Charlotte, my childhood friend.

"Come, let's go," Mrs. Gonzalez says.

"What about my father?" I ask, my eyes full of tears.

"Don't worry. I will make sure he gets buried in the cemetery close to the villa, so you could visit."

"Thank you, Mrs. Gonzalez."

* * * 

At night, I find it extremely hard to sleep. The only thing I could think about is my father, who is going to be buried tomorrow morning in the cemetery. I just can't believe that he is gone because I talked to him a day before he was stabbed. I wish I stayed with him or taken him with me.

I keep sobbing at the image of my father's dead body.

It's my fault. I have left him alone with my mother knowing exactly how she could be. But I didn't really know that she could kill someone. My mother is a killer, my father's killer, and I have to live with it for the rest of my life.

A knock on the door stops my sobbing session. I collect myself, wiping the tears before walking to the door and pulling it open.

"Mr. Lorenzo?" Confusion appears on my face as I look at his hooded eyes. "Is something wrong?"

"I should ask you that question. What's wrong? Can I come in?" He fires questions. Immediately after I nod, he walks into my room and closes the door.

"N-Nothing's wrong."

"I heard you crying, Valeria."

"Of course, I am crying. My father was murdered by my mother," I scoff as I shake my head, completely forgetting that he could fire me right here right now.

"I didn't mean it like that, gosh, Valeria, come here." He opens his arms for me to take. I hesitantly walk to him and hug him. Almost immediately, tears begin running down my face.