06 - Fearless

* * *

Valeria

Mrs. Gonzalez postponed the gathering that was supposed to be at her house. She told me to go home and think her offer through, and come back tomorrow to tell her about my decision, which according to her, is going to be positive just like she wants.

I don't mind living at their house, anyone would want that, but could I leave my father alone with my mother? But again, it's not like I am home 24/7 to take care of him. I could visit on the weekends, but the problem is, what am I going to tell my mother? And I am sure she will tell me to ask for a raise or something.

I step out of my bed, unwrapping the comfy white comforter from my body. But nothing would beat the quilt I used to sleep with when I would stay at the mansion.

I brush my teeth and take a quick bath. I need to stop washing my hair every day or else, it will keep on falling.

I wear black denim shorts and black tank top. I step into my black converse and head downstairs for breakfast. My parents are sitting in the living room when they see me, and my mother calls me.

"Yes?"

"Prepare breakfast. I will be leaving for thirty minutes and expecting it to be ready by then," she says, standing up and leaving.

I take this opportunity to speak with my father.

"Hey, dad."

"Hi, honey. How are you today?"

"I am good, and you?"

"Living."

I sigh as I sit beside him. I look around the small living room and feel something tug on my heart, imagining myself not living here anymore. Every house has a certain smell and I can't believe that I am saying this, but I will be missing this one.

"Dad, Mrs. Gonzalez offered me to go and live in their house."

"Oh, what did you tell her?" he asked with a frown.

"I told her I'd think."

"Do you want to live there?"

"Honestly? Yes. It's more convenient, dad."

"What are you going to tell your mother?"

There it is. The fear of my mother and not being able to stand up to her. He never stood up to her, not even when she would sometimes hit me. He has always been a coward and I can't say that I am not the same, but at least, I tried to stand up to her despite the fear I have for her. She is someone who is not compassionate like Valentina.

My mother doesn't have a heart.

"I'll tell her exactly what I told you. I don't care what she says, but are you going to be all right here?"

"Yes, of course. You do you, honey."

"Thanks, dad," I reply, hugging him.

"I promise you I save up money and [ay for your hand surgery."

He tears up and says, "I am sorry you had to stop your dreams for me, so please, think about yourself and your future."

"I have time to think of my future, dad. You are what's important."

He cries. I didn't mean to make him cry, but I knew he is someone who is emotional, one of the things I like about him.

"Go prepare breakfast before your mother comes."

I nod and walk to the kitchen.

After 25 minutes, I was done. I cooked scrambled eggs, vegetables, and squeezed orange juice.