CHAPTER 27

"Captain, her vitals are rising! How fast did that cure work?" Penguin asked in shock as he stared at the screen and then glanced back at his Captain who had his eyes on the unconscious female. A gleam of relief passed through his grey orbs.

It was working. The cure he had worked on through the night and the method he used for it to be delivered to her was effective. It was a bit touch and go in the beginning but everything was going to be alright now.

"It has quick effects. I'll say she'll wake up in approximately two to three days," Law clarified, taking off his medical gloves. There were many times that he brushed off his medical knowledge as something natural. Yet, it was moments like this one that made him feel reassured and grateful.

Everyone silently cheered at the great news inside the operating room. Shachi and Penguin hugged each other with tears in their eyes, Bepo picking them both up in a hug as they cried together. Rosaline was going to be alright.

Law chuckled at their behavior and glanced back at Rosaline whose skin tinted slightly back to its original color. She was safe. He didn't know how to describe the relief that washed over him. She was finally going to be healthy and return to them.

"Alright, time for you guys to get out of here. We need to give Rosa-ya some rest and you need some rest as well," Law ordered. His men groaned, their happiness suddenly sullied and nodded reluctantly at his orders. They knew they needed to rest and so did their Captain.

Law watched as everyone left the operating room and chuckled once again before hearing the door creak open again. He glanced back and saw Bepo let in the other two pirates. He nodded at his crewmate and Bepo left the room, leaving Law with the Emperor and his first mate.

"I'll leave you alone. She should be in her conscious mind," Law explained and Shanks nodded while looking back at the young woman. Her facial expression was peaceful and calm, the storm underneath unknown to them.

"Thank you." Law grunted before turning to leave, Shanks' first mate following. He gave his Captain one last glance and then he exited behind Law. He leaned against the wall just outside the door, crossing his arms over his chest and closing his eyes.

Shanks went to sit down next to Rosaline's unconscious body, silence surging throughout the room with the beeping of the monitoring equipment echoing faintly. He felt a peculiar feeling wash over him at the thought that she was out of danger and that she was saved from death.

Yet, he was troubled.

He knew that his daughter wouldn't want to see him after all the years he left her alone with her ill mother but he couldn't bring himself to let her push him away. He wanted to share things with her, things he never wanted to share with anyone except Liza.

But was he worth it? He didn't know. However, he was going to try and no matter what, he was going to keep trying even if she pushed him away. He was going to do the only thing he knew what he could do and apologize.

For all those long years, he wasn't there.

***

Meanwhile...

"Full Hardening! Ikenhisu!" Rosaline exclaimed as she hit her counterpart with all of her might with her body in its armament state. She gritted her teeth and the ground cracked beneath them before an explosion sent both of them flying.

Rosaline twirled in the air and dug her feet into the ground to make her movement stop. She glared up at the smoke that still lingered in her field of view before coughing up blood. She wiped the blood that ran from her mouth and pushed herself back onto her feet.