CHAPTER 16

"I raise you!"

Rosaline sighed as she continued making lunch food for the hungry crew. She occasionally heard exclamation from behind her as she stirred the contents inside the pot. A small smile came onto her lips as she briefly glanced back, and then returned her attention back to her cooking.

She agreed to let some of the crewmembers play at the kitchen table after they asked her. After all, she didn't mind. She was sure that they only did it to stare her down because of their lack of female hormones on the submarine. Either way, she didn't have a problem with their corrupted poker plays.

It's what made them entertaining.

Her brows knitted together and she stopped stirring, her hand feeling heavy as her thoughts trailed off in a direction that she wished to stay clear of. She managed to avoid any contact with Law for the past two days and brushed away any thought of what led towards their almost-kiss.

She couldn't get herself together when she thought of what almost happened and her cheeks unconsciously heated up, much to her dismay. She didn't know how to understand her feelings and since it was confusing her more than anything, she decided to rather ignore them.

She heard groans from behind her and looked back, finding the opportunity to escape her lingering problems. She saw the crewmembers throw their cards on the table while Penguin grinned from ear to ear as he won yet another round.

"You're cheating! There's no way you can win every single time, Penguin!" Shachi exclaimed with a deep frown and the others nodded in agreement. Bepo's head hung low from losing again. He was the only one who wasn't exclaiming in protest.

"You're all just sore losers! I haven't cheated once! It's not my fault you guys have bad hands," Penguin stated and huffed while the others grumbled incoherent curses under their breath. They didn't trust someone who was winning five times in a row.

Rosaline sighed and went to sit next to Bepo, drawing everyone's attention. Bepo blinked in confusion at her actions and the rest of the men were left speechless. She was acting completely different than usual. She would never join them in a conversation or sit at the same table, except when they ate.

Rosaline gave them a smirk, her confidence as dangerous as ever. He had a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach, knowing all too well that she was up to no good. He was the only one who had an actual connection with her, the rest still a bit weary.

"You want to win, right? Let me show you guys that he's not cheating," Rosaline offered and they were taken back by her sudden statement. They knew she had a lot of confidence but this was gambling, the thing they were the best in.

"You sure about this, Rosa-chan? You're going to lose despite having all that arrogance," Penguin pointed out and Rosaline scoffed while she cracked her knuckles. Everyone swallowed thickly and she chuckled at their behavior.

"Deal the cards, Penguin."

Penguin did as she told. He gave everyone their longed cards while Rosaline played with Bepo by her side. He was unsure of having faith in her but she had never disappointed him before. Why would she start now?

"Raise."

The males groaned at Penguin's eagerness. They barely started the game! However, Rosaline quietly put down her bet, no complaining escaping her plush lips. Bepo looked at the cards before he glanced at Rosaline who had her face impassive of all emotions.

"Hit me."

Rosaline's eyes gleamed in victory and Bepo was completely confused at what she was doing. He kept quiet and waited for the rounds to continue until Penguin had the stakes high enough. Rosaline didn't fold once and Bepo was shocked.