CHAPTER 22

"No, I hate him because he let my Mother cry." Rosaline replied and Law's eyes widened at her statement. Wait. What? That was...unexpected. Of all the things he expected her to say, that was not one of them.

"She had to take on the emotional pain that he left for her and the physical pain of her sickness. Not to mention, she had to take care of me. He was never there for her when she needed him or when I needed him," Rosalie said.

Law's brows knitted together in confusion and a frown came upon his dark features. "You don't hate him for missing out on your childhood? You don't hate him for everything he missed or the fact that he didn't take you in after she died?" Law question and Rosaline shook her head.

"I loved my time with my mother! Even though I would've wanted my father there, I have the best memories. I never cared for who he was or what he was. I only wanted him to be there the moment my mother let out her last breath, the pain she went through that I couldn't make better," she replied.

"Rosa-ya, you need to start caring about yourself more than you care for others," Law told her and saw her eyes widen, a gleam of confusion flashing through her eyes. "This whole time, when did you ever think about yourself? When did you do anything in your own interest?"

"You joined the Navy for justice, to change the world. You sacrificed yourself for your crew, both navy and pirate. Have you ever thought that maybe you need to start thinking about yourself?" Law asked and Rosaline averted her eyes from his intense stare.

"I don't care what happens to me, Law. As long as it saves the others from pain-"

"You think sacrificing yourself makes other people happy?" Law asked, his tone of voice rising and Rosaline's eyes widened. It was something that hadn't crossed her mind before because she had thought more about saving them...

"Do you honestly think they appreciated the pain you put yourself through for them? That's the most selfish decision you can make, Rosa-ya," Law scolded her. A shadow fell over Rosaline's eyes as she bit her bottom lip.

She had it wrong this entire time. She thought that her sacrifices would save others but instead she caused them more pain. She didn't care what happened to her but now she had to for others? The thought was so confusing. Moreover, why was Law the one who pointed all of this out?

"Why do you care so much, Law? You're a pirate and you're just as selfish not taking in other people's wishes," she stated. She looked back up at him, her blue eyes piercing his grey orbs that seemed to narrow at her.

"Not all pirates are the same, Rosa-ya. I care because you're part of my crew and if I didn't care I would've left you in that cave to drown along with that island." Law's voice was low and dangerous but his words didn't feel right.

He was sure that he phrased it correct in his mind, yet when he heard it, it sounded wrong. Nothing he said was a lie. She was an important, essential part of the crew. He couldn't imagine the crew without her there. There wasn't anything else, right? Then why did it feel like he was missing something?

Rosaline felt a painful pang in her chest and took her hand off Law's while looking away from him. His words hurt her more than she had expected and in the back of her mind she felt a tug. He cared for her as part of his crew, his subordinate and nothing more.

Nothing more...

She was confused as to why she would feel so hurt by just his words. He gave the right answer, didn't he? He told her that he saved her since she was part of his crew, because she was made one of his subordinates.

Then, why did she feel an excruciating pain within her chest? Why did she feel her emotions bubble up to the surface like before? Was his answer not what she wanted to hear? She couldn't figure out why she didn't want to hear those words.