Chapter 5: Aggression

Aiden

Work has always been one of my favorite pastimes, along with a multitude of hobbies. Being solo is nice but having people to hangout with enjoy has also been pretty nice. Speaking of people, shouldn't the new girl's substitute be in by now?

I glance at the clock, 4:02.

Missing out on her first day huh? I wonder if she'll last.

Ava walks out of the back, tying her apron, " Have you seen the new girl yet?"

I shake my head, " No, she had to cancel her shift last minute so Tyrese is coming."

" I don't get why I have to train her," Ava gripes, " Lisa or Cathrin are far better suited."

Tyrese walks in through the front and goes straight to the back, " Sorry I'm Late."

" It's all good," I call.

Ava watches him then sighs the moment the door closes, "He's so cute."

" Why don't you talk to him?" I say, leaning against the counter.

She widens her eyes, " N-no way!"

" Come on, you obviously like him," I tease.

" What if he doesn't like me," She stammers.

I laugh, " Oh please, you look like a model, you have a good sense of humor and a great personality. Go for it, even a simple date or hangout is enough of a start."

The door rings and Ava take the register. The customer orders and then she passes me back the cup. I scan the drink then start making it. I finish it off with a Caramel drizzle and set it on the counter.

The customers hand brushes mine. I look up at Leon smiling at me.

I smile, handing him his cup, " One caramel macchiato."

He chuckles, " Thank you."

I watch as he walks to a table. He and I are supposed to go to his cousins art gallery after I get off. I hum happily at the thought and back off the counter.

" Is that your boyfriend?" Ava asks, nodding to Leon.

I smile, shaking my head, " We're just friends."

" But you two seem so close," She mutters.

" I guess," I mutter.

The back door opens and Tyrese walks out, his black coily hair up in a puff above his bandanna. He finishes tying his apron as he walks to me.

" You're free to go," He says, our catchphrase to each other when we exchange shifts.

I walk to the back, " Thanks Ty."

I quickly change into a hoodie and ripped blue jeans. I clock out then leave the back. Ty waves goodbye then talks to his customer. Leon stand up and greets me.

" Ready?" Leon asks, pocketing his free hand.

I nod, " Yep!"

We leave the cafe to his car parked about ten feet away, beside the sidewalk. He opens the door for me to get in. I glance at him before getting in. Why is he acting like he's courting me?

He closes the door then gets in the driver's seat. He buckled in then turns on the car and leaves.

I kick off my shoes and sit Indian style in my seat. I'm kind of excited? Like I haven't been camping before... My dad isn't allowed so we never bothered to go without him.