The Happy Ending.

Hey guys.
I will not be telling you exactly what happened to Dakota in the hospital.
It's too much for me emotionally but as I'm sure you can imagine he was hurt quite badly and was in ICU (Intensive Care Unit) for quite some time.
The Hospital bills were payed for largely by the kind donations made by beautiful and kind hearted people.
After Dakota was discharged from the hospital he and his mother temporarily moved in with Meril and his wife
During the time that they stayed there Dakota became very attached to Meril and even mistakenly called him dad. When Dakota realized his mistake he became very flustered and embarrassed until Meril told him that it was fine and that he didn't mind if Dakota called him Dad.
He and his mother eventually got their own apartment and his mom got a job as a waitress. They still stayed in close contact with the Deputy and the two families had Christmas, Thanksgiving, and New Year's, together every year.
Dakota is now 25 years old. He hit a growth spurt almost immediately after after his Father was convicted and now stands at a 5 foot 11 inches. He works at a horse barn, more specifically runs the  horse therapy program.
He still calls Meril Dad.