Nightmares

"And we're off," Artemis sighed as the ship returned to its typical running heat. "This journey will take some time. We'll be stopping every week or so to take on fuel and spend a night off the ship. It's necessary, trust me."

Elias sipped at his water, his eyes staring at the tiger's collar.

"Anyways, we need to teach you how to read. And how to speak Egaro, as well as Common."

The tiger smiled.

"Of course, this means you need to speak..."

The neko's head shot up, Elias staring horrified into Artemis' eyes, searching for some sign that the tiger was pulling his leg.

"Relax," Artemis laughed. "You're just talking around me."

The tiger picked up his tablet and carried it into the kitchen, beckoning Elias to follow him. For the next few hours, Artemis laboured patiently to teach the neko the Common alphabet.

Standing five hours later, the tiger stretched.

"Well, that's a good start," he said. "Later I'll help you set up your tablet and send you some beginner books to read. We'll work on this a few hours a day and you'll be reading in no time. But for now, I need to shower. You should probably take one too when I'm done."

Elias frowned.

"I know you don't like the shower, but you need to stay clean. It's not that bad of a place, really. Perfect for thinking. Though that can be dangerous itself sometimes."

The neko remained silent.

"Why don't you keep working on your letters while I shower, and we'll keep trying to get you into the water."

Elias glared at the tiger and Artemis laughed.

"I'll be back in a bit."

Elias rested his head on the table, closing his eyes. He hurt, but it was a weird pain, one in his eyes. He had never felt this before, and he hoped he never would again.

Closing his eyes helped, slightly, and the neko let out a breath, determined to keep his eyes shut until Artemis returned. This reading stuff was hard, and Elias didn't see the point in it. He had never needed to read before. Why start now?

The neko yawned, tired from his labours. The table felt so cool against his skin, so comfortable. Slowly he fell asleep...

...and awoke to a nightmare. A body lay before him, blood pouring from the severed halves. Quarian and Danuva stood beside it, glaring at the neko.

"Murderer..." Quarian hissed.

"Slaves are not permitted to use weapons," Danuva growled.

"You will be punished for your crime."

Elias screamed as the two werewolves shifted and leapt at him.

"Elias... Elias..."

The neko sat up, his ears ringing with his screams.

"You're okay! You're safe!"

Arms wrapped around him, wet and dripping.

"You're safe," Artemis said as the neko choked back his cries. "Nothing's going to hurt you."

A hand ran through his hair, wetting it. Elias panted, slowly realizing he was in the kitchen on the ship. It was a dream. It had just been a dream.

Artemis knelt beside him, holding him against his naked body. Water dripped from the tiger and Elias shuddered. He slapped his pocket in a panic, and Artemis yelped as the collar shocked him.