53 - Warrior

Hooves thundered across the earth in unison, making it sound as though one giant horse was galloping across Middle-earth. Despite being a pony, my steed kept up well. He perhaps liked the energy in the air around him, or maybe he was just happy to be somewhere other than home.

Or maybe he was feeling my courage that I was trying to maintain.

The riders rode in silence, not calling to each other. Even though I was in the middle of the pack, I knew King Théoden was leading us. Still, amidst the pack, I had yet to see Aragorn, Gimli, or Legolas.

Though three days did seem like an awful long time to ride, they passed much quicker than I wanted them to. When I counted we were on day three, the time was nearing. We were close in fighting in a battle that could potentially alter Middle-earth's fate.

Over the loud hooves, I barely heard the king shout commands, but I couldn't make out what they were exactly. Soon, I began to understand as the riders started forming lines that was more than ten horses back. I squeezed my pony behind Éowyn's horse, as to perfectly hide myself from the king's view, though I didn't see why I wanted to hide from him when he couldn't do a thing about me being here.

I was in the second row of soldiers, squished between labored horses that were probably glad for the rest they were getting, even if it was just standing still.

As the hooves finally ceased, I took in new sounds: battle cries that didn't sound human. They had to be from Orcs. Trying to see past the front line, I scooted until I found the smallest gap between Éowyn's horse and another.

A city of white was plagued with spots of black smoke and torn building. There were flying creatures around it, some diving and pulling up, throwing soldiers from terrifying heights.

My gaze was fixated on the enemies we would have to face on the ground. They were a mass of black, snarling creatures. Trying to compare our numbers to theirs, I was sure we were almost evenly matched. From a distance, I could make out no features at all of the creatures we were going to charge.

I tightened the grip on the pony's reins, hoping to keep my fear at bay. I couldn't become a coward now, there was nowhere to run or hide.

I hadn't realized the king was pacing his steed across the length of our lines. He was shouting orders to a few men he had out front with him. What he ordered them to do, I wasn't sure—I was too busy trying to drink in what we were about to go up against.

"Arise," King Théoden boomed, nearly startling me, "arise, Riders of Théoden!" He continued to have his horse lope across the length of our line. "Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered, a sword-day, a red day ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"

I wasn't sure whether or not that was to be a speech to motivate us or not, the last few words kind of threw me off.

Apparently, it was enough motivation for the riders around me. They burst into cheers, brandishing their weaponry. I remembered the sword at my side, quickly unsheathing it.

The electricity in the air grew, it almost crackled. While practically everyone was cheering, I sat in the saddle, mute, trying to prepare myself for what I was about to endure and experience.

I could say this situation was surreal, but then I would be lying. To me, there were no dreamlike qualities about this. The fighting, the death and destruction, it was very real.

And me and about thousands of Men were about to dive into the chaos.

One of the riders sounded a horn, a horn that brought me courage. It sounded triumphant, which is what we all wanted to be and feel following this battle. We travelled all the way from Edoras and gathered all we could who wanted to fight on this day. To not be triumphant would be a disgrace and an insult.