Chapter 51

Photo of Emma above

The day had arrived sooner than I thought. I was officially seventeen and I couldn't be anymore happier.

I didn't feel any different but as I had my family and friends gathered around I felt joy all around.

Jax's sister and his mom were sitting on the couch with a plate of food and Nick and Marissa sat across from them.

Hunter was in the kitchen with Jax and I was standing by my dad as he smiled widely at me.

"Happy birthday, kiddo." He ruffles my hair. "You're mother would be proud of the young lady you've become."

"Thanks, dad." I feel myself begin to tear up at the mention of my mom.

He kissed my forehead. "Go tell Hunter and Jax to bring out the cake now. It's getting late."

Nodding, I put my drink down and make my way into the kitchen. As I walk in, I gasp at what was in front of my eyes.

"What the hell are you doing?" I shriek. I go over to where Hunter and Jax had their fingers on the outside of my cake and were licking frosting off of it. "Get your filthy hands off of my cake!"

I slap both of their hands away and shoot them daggers with my eyes. "So disrespectful."

"You were taking to long so we started it off early." Jax defends.

Sighing, I move the cake away from them and take it out to the living room. I set it up on the coffee table and everyone gathers around me.

"Jax and Hunter licked the sides so avoid that part." I point to the side of the cake that was wiped clear of any frosting.

As they all sing along, I see Jax pull out his phone and snap a couple of pictures of me. He was smiling from ear to ear as he looked at me and shot me a wink.

When we were all gathered in the living room enjoying the cake, my dad clears his throat and grabs everyone's attention.

"There is still one more surprise that you have," My dad begins. "This one's from your brother, Jax and I."

With a nervous smile, I take the envelope from his hands and watch as everyone waits for me to open it.

I rip it open and it takes me a while to take in what was on the paper but as soon as I read it I jumped into my father's arms.

"No way!" I squealed with excitement.

I moved away from him and brought Hunter and Jax into a hug.

"We're all going?" I ask.

"Even us." Marissa says, pointing to Nick and herself.

"I'm sorry we can't make it this year, Emma." Cathy apologizes. "I'm sure you'll all have an amazing time."

"She couldn't get work off and she won't let Amanda come." Jax explains. "Something about not trusting me with her in the big apple."

"We're really going?" I ask, still not believing what I was hearing.

"You have the proof in your hands," Hunter says. "Those are all the attractions and places we could go see."

"We're going to New York City!"

- -

I was counting down the days until Thanksgiving break. I couldn't wait until I was roaming the streets of New York.

Although New York was a three hour drive from where I lived, we never got the chance to go when I was younger.

As I got older it became impossible to travel with my dad always working.