Chapter 28

Jax, Marissa and I all sat in Sally's diner devouring our food. Since I told them the news we've been eating in silence. We were too surprised to say or think anything but eat.

I couldn't stop smiling to myself like a crazy person. I ate my food in peace, doing a little dance every time I shoved a fry in my mouth.

"Oh, my God, you eat as if you were eating for two." Jax laughs.

"Thankfully, I'm not." I giggle. "So, hush it."

"I'm still in shock." Marissa shakes her head. "I'm so glad you're not pregnant."

"Really? It seemed like you were the only one here excited if I was." I tell her.

She shakes her head. "I was just as nervous. Making jokes during rough situations is my coping mechanism."

"Imagine having to tell Hunter." Jax scoffs.

"I'm surprised you handled this the way you did." I say, chewing on a fry or three.

"What do you mean?" He furrows his eyebrows.

"I thought you would be more angry when you found out back at the bus stop. Or at least try to kill Alex on the way." I respond.

"I was in shock. I didn't know what to feel." He wipes his hands on the napkin and takes a sip from his drink.

"Schools about to finish, we should start heading back." Marissa says.

Jax's phone vibrates on the table and I see Rebecca's name flash across the screen. He quickly grabs the phone, looking at me with a weird face.

"It's just my mom." Jax's says, putting his phone in the pocket of his jacket.

"You're not going to answer?" Marissa questions.

"Nah, it's probably not important." He shrugs. "Anyways, we should get going."

Grabbing our garbage, we get up from the table and throw it out. We leave Sally's and head to Jax's car, feeling a weight lifted from all of us.

"Are you feeling okay?" Jax says, coming to my side of the car.

"I guess," I shrug. "Just a slight headache."

"Do you want me to stop at the pharmacy to get Advil? Wait, I think I might have some in the car." He turns around and was about to open the door when I stopped him.

Pushing him against the car I close my eyes and within seconds my lips press against his. It took him a couple seconds to gather himself before he starts to move his lips with mine.

I didn't know what came over me but I've been wanting to do that for so long, I couldn't waste the chance. I saw Jax's true colors today and it warmed my heart how much he showed he cared about me.

"What was that for?" Jax says, out of breath once we pull away.

"My way of saying thank you." I grin. "For being by my side today."

He grabs my face, pressing his lips against mine again. "You're welcome."

He opens the door for me, smiling ear to ear as he watches me get in.

"Thanks." I utter before he closes the door.

"You have a lot of explaining to do." Marissa says from the backseat.

"You saw?" I giggle.

"You tackled the poor guy against my window, I more than saw." She chuckles.

"Shh, he's coming." I say quickly, watching Jax open the door and get in.

As soon as Jax started the car, his phone rang three times, signaling someone was texting him. He pulls out his phone and unlocks it, staring at the screen intensely.