Chapter 31

Charlie's apartment was nicer than I expected. Right when he opened the door I was greeted with an opened living room attached to the kitchen. He had leather couches going around the living room with a coffee table in the middle and a huge flat screen TV.

I could see him from the kitchen preparing a drink for himself and getting me a water. I didn't know what came over me that made me want to come to his house. I wasn't one to throw myself at people but Charlie seemed like a trusting guy.

"Are you sure you don't want to eat something? I can make you a sandwich or order something." Charlie offered as he handed me my water.

"I'm still full from the burger. Thank you though." I tell him.

"Isn't your family going to be worried with you being here?" Charlie takes a seat next to me.

"They don't even know where I am." I let out before thinking.

"How come?" He asks.

"It's a long story." I didn't want to get into the details of my absentee father and dead mom.

"I have time." He says.

"I wouldn't want to ruin our night. Trust me, it's a subject we should steer away from." I explain. "But tell me, what's your family like?"

"My parents are divorced, they have been for years and my little brother lives with her." He tells me, as he stares off into the distance.

I guess not everyone's family is perfect. I wasn't the only one who came from a broken family.

"I'm sorry about your parents." I mumble.

"Nah, it's not anything I walk with by the hand." He shrugs it off. "I'm at least grateful to have who I have in my life."

"You're right." I sigh.

I needed to start looking at the bigger picture. I had my dad who was well alive and a brother who I knew cared for me. I also had Jax who I knew stood by me.

"I'm sorry, Charlie." I say, putting down the glass of water and standing up.

I couldn't turn my back on my family. That wasn't me.

"Is something wrong?" He furrows his eyebrows as he gets up after me.

I grab my bag and turn to him, giving him a warm smile. "Thank you for today but I have to go."

"Did I do something?" He wonders.

"No," I shake my head. "Just something you said that made me have to face reality."

He nods, not quite understanding me but he followed me to the door and we said our goodbyes before he shut the door.

Walking to the elevator, I take a deep breath in before taking out my phone. I had 15 missed calls all from my dad, Jax and Hunter. Messages upon messages telling me to come home.

I sighed, dialing Jax's number and wait for him to answer.

Just as he answered I step off the elevator and walk out of the apartment complex.

"Emma, thank God. Where the hell are you?" Jax says through the other line, his voice filled with panic.

I look around, the street lights barely lighting the dark streets. I had no idea where I was. 

"Uhh, I don't know." I say, as I walk down the street. There were apartment buildings all around, not a store in sight.

"What do you mean? Are you okay?" He asks.

"I'm fine, don't worry. Can you just get me?" I look around, spotting the street name across the street. "I'm at Linden Wood."

"That's an hour away. What are you doing all the way there?" I hear him jiggle keys around and then a door shut.

"I'll explain later. Just hurry, it's cold." I say.

"I'm on my way." He says. "Do you want me to stay on the phone with you?"

"No," I shake my head, not that he can see me. "Drive safe, I'll text my dad and Hunter to let them know I'm okay."

"You really scared us, Emma. Your dad was looking for you like crazy." He tells me.

"I know." I sigh, trying to fight back tears. "I'm sorry."

"I'll be there soon." He says.

"Okay."

After we hung up, I quickly texted my dad and Hunter to let them know I was okay and Jax was coming to pick me up. I sat down on the curb, hugging my knees to my chest.

I looked around, analyzing everything around me. There was a couple walking across the street, hand in hand with a dog in a leash.

I smiled to myself, feeling warmth all around as I watched them. I wanted that.

I wanted to be happy with someone and not have second thoughts. I wanted to be happy. I think after everything I deserved to be happy.

Whether that meant romantically happy or in general.

I knew as soon as I got home I would have to face my dad and hear him out. He wanted to be a family again but we never stopped being one. I was just realizing that.

Yes, we had our ups and downs but that doesn't make us any less of a family. Everyone goes through things. Some more than others. My dad was the only parent I had left and I wouldn't waste my time with him fighting.

If he wanted to work on our relationship I was going to allow him to. He was my dad.

Aside from my dad Alex kept creeping into my mind. What I did to him was wrong but that did not make me any less of a person. I too had feelings.

It was hitting me that he was also in the wrong. He cheated on me and I took him back. He didn't get to play the victim. I was done letting people walk all over me.

More and more I knew I wanted Jax. So many things held me back but I'll never know until I try. I had to think about myself now.

If I wanted something I was going to get it.

In this case, I wanted Jax.