ventinueve

After staying in the hospital with Arcelia, Ruby was dragged out by his parents, kicking and yelling diwn the hallway until they locked him in the car and took him home. He fell asleep in the car and wouldn't wake up so they left him, but when he woke up, he ran into the house to shower and get ready to go to the hospital. "Ruby, you need to rest."

"I slept for 5 hours in the car. Come on, ma. I need to go back to the hospital in case Arcelia wakes up."

"After you eat breakfast."

"I can take it to go."

Geny sighed in frustration, looking up straight ahead to the back of the stove in silence, smiling when she heard Ruby sigh and pull a chair out.  "Arcelia would want you healthy."  She stated.

Ruby looked down at the table, bouncing his leg. Ruby paused for a second before he walked to his room. Geny looked back to male sure he wasn't going to walk to the hospital himself, then heard rummaging in his room. Ruby pulled a box off of the top shelf in his closet where he had some money saved up and took $20 out. He wanted to buy Arcelia some flowers before he went, just so she would have something pretty to look at and not just the white walls and plain hospital room.

Ruby ate his breakfast quick and chugged the orange juice Geny gave him before jumping up and standing by the door.  Geny sighed and gave in, grabbing her car keys and walking out to Ruby who was already standing at the car.

"Can we stop at a flower shop?"

"There's one inside the hospital."

Ruby groaned and threw his head back.  "The ones in the hospital were brown and dead.  I want her to wake up and see beauty and life, not death."

Ruby walked into the hospital with the bouquet of flowers in his hands and walked down hallways to get to Arcelia's room

Ruby walked into the hospital with the bouquet of flowers in his hands and walked down hallways to get to Arcelia's room.  Before walking in, Ruby straightened out his outfit.  When he opened the door, the room was already filled with roses, teddy bears and balloons, who he assumed were from the Santos. 

"Amateurs."  Ruby mumled, referencing how all the flowers were red roses when he knew for a fact that Arcelia's favorite flowers were sunflowers.

Since Arcelia was still in her coma, Ruby busied himself by organizing the room.  He ended up getting vases from the gift shop and put all the flowers inside of them.  The flowers were now spread around the room and not just crowded on one table, the balloons were in a corner, and the teddy bears were under the TV except for one that was beside her when he walked in.  Ruby assumed that one was from Oscar. 

Right when Ruby finally sat down, the door opened and the doctor came in.  "Oh, boyfriend?"  Ruby nodded his head and continued playing with Arcelia's fingers.  "Well, she's healthy, or as healthy as she can be.  The bullet didn't do any serious damage so she should be up soon."  The doctor told Ruby, looking the monitors and writing things down on a clipboard. 

"Is she going to be affected by the bullet when she wakes up?"

"She'll have to wear a sling for a little so she doesn't strain herself, but she should be fine other than a little pain.  She's strong.  Most people that get shot where she did pass away, but she's fighting it."  The doctor said.  Ruby nodded and looked back to Arcelia.  The doctor watched them for a few seconds then walked out, letting Ruby enjoy his time visiting her.

Ruby picked up the remote on the nightstand and slumped down in his seat. "Cartoon Network or Nick?" Ruby asked aloud, looking to Arcelia's still unmoving figure. "Youre right. We'll watch Spongebob."

× × ×

Winter break finally came, 2 weeks after the quinceañera, and Arcelia was on her 3rd week of being in a coma.  Cesar slipped up and was caught by the Santos who jumped him and kicked him out to the streets.  Cesar tried visiting Arcelia, but Oscar told the doctors to not let him in because he was a danger to the girl. 

Ruby came over every day after school to do homework and had to be dragged away by Geny because the nurses and security couldn't get him to leave.  Now that it was break, Ruby stayed in the hospital everyday. From visiting hours until he was dragged out, Ruby sat beside Arcelia and talked to her like she was awake.

"Celia, can you wake up?"  Ruby whispered.  "I got Twister for Christmas and you have a lot of presents."  Ruby commented, looking to the window where all her presents were stacked. 

Oscar went overboard since he claims he only has one sibling, so Arcelia got double the presents from him.  Plus, with the time he spent in prison, he felt like he had to make up for that time. 

"Cesar got kicked out of Los Santos.  They broke his arm I think, but he's living with Monse.  And Oscar's still mad because you're here and Latrelle is out there hiding somewhere."  Ruby explained. 

The door opened again and the doctor walked in, giving Ruby the look he's been giving him every night for the past 3 weeks.  "Visiting hours are over now, Ruby."

Ruby sighed and pursed his lips.  "I have to go now, Celia.  But I'll be back at 7 am again."  Ruby whispered.  For the first time since the quince, Ruby leaned up and kissed Arcelia, the doctor still standing in the doorway.  When he pulled away, the heart monitor picked up and Ruby looked back to the doctor.  "What's happening?"  He asked frantically.

Before the doctor could answer, Ruby felt a squeeze on his hand and flung his head over to Arcelia, almost catching whiplash.  Arcelia's eyes fluttered open and she coughed, making Ruby grab the water bottle he kept on the nightstand and hold it up to her mouth.

"Sup."

Tell me why I'm crying in AP Spanish for writing this 😩 I wasn't gonna have her wake up until the next chapter, but I already did the time skip and sis needs to be up for New Years.