Chapter 2

We all sit at the table for dinner and their foster father, Victor calls out "All hands on deck," and all the kids put their hands out in the centre of the table. Each hand piling onto the one before it. Billy and I hadn't though. I don't because I'm not a part of this family, Billy should. Billy is a part of this family as of today.

Victor decides to disregard the fact that Billy isn't placing his hand in and says his prayer. We all eat.

"So Billy, what do you think of us so far?" Darla asks. I look at Billy, hoping he says the right thing to his new sister. Everyone else looks at him and he looks at me. I raise my eyebrow up at him and he swallows.

"Um... You guys are pretty good I guess," he says. Darla takes a sip of her Slurpee and looks sad. Rosa - their mother- looks at me.

"So, Y/n! I heard your dad was going away for a month, are you excited?" She asks. Everyone here knew that my dad was a bad person, everybody but Billy.

"I mean... Yeah. I guess." Sadness was evident in my voice. Victor looks at me with sadness in his eyes. "I um... He's leaving in a month... So I'm kind of scared."

Billy asks, a confused look on his face but it came off like he was disgusted, "Why would she be happy her parent is leaving? Everyone needs a parent growing up."

I say "I'm not too hungry," before getting up with my plate. Mary reaches for me and Freddy sighs as I bring it into the kitchen. I wrap plastic wrap around the plate and put it in the fridge.

"Hey... Y/n, please, I didn't mean to-" Billy says as I walk past him towards Freddy's room. I ignore him and run up the stairs quickly. I grab my partially melted Slurpee from the tray still on his dresser and begin sipping at it.

After maybe ten minutes Freddy walks in with Billy right behind him. "Freddy, I'm really sorry I-" "Hey! It was no problem," he says. "I get it, you were uncomfortable."

After an hour of us sitting in there playing Monopoly with just Freddy and me, we looked over at Billy. He was sleeping.

"Jesus," I say.

"What?" Freddy asks as he moves his terrier around to "Go". "Hand me two hundred by the way," he says.

I giggle and hand it to him before saying "He falls asleep WAY to fast."

"Hey, well he drank his Slurpee," he says.

I chuckle and he says "I'm gonna grab some stuff for the floor bed, okay?" He asks.

I nod my head as he leaves then pick up the bag of party mix and take some out to eat. "Hey," Billy says from behind me.

"Don't talk to me," I say, not really caring about the effect.

"I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to Freddy," he says rudely. I look up and see Freddy filling up the air mattress.

"Hey," Freddy says. Billy turns away and faces the wall, wrapping his blanket tighter around himself. "So! I think you should sleep on the top bunk. Only respectful, dude," Freddy states.

I nod my head quickly and say "Listen, you're sleeping on your bed, I don't want to."

He shrugs, accepting what he really wanted.

He tossed a pillow and a blanket onto the air mattress and began climbing his ladder.

"Wow," I say. He smiles at me and tosses me another pillow of his two hundred. "Oh well thanks for your charity work, pillow keeper." He laughs and lies down.

"Hey, Y/n?" I hear Freddy say.

"Mhm?" I ask, turning onto my side to face away from their bed to sleep.

"Don't hate, Billy. He probably isn't as bad as he comes off," I hear him say. I roll my eyes in disbelief then Billy talks.

"I'm not," is all I hear before shaking my head. I hear them continue to talk.

"You'll like it here, Batson," I hear Freddy say.

"Sure I will," he says.

"I promise, Darla seems to like you a lot," Freddy states.

"She seems to like everyone, dude." I roll my eyes hearing him.

He chuckles after something Freddy says. Freddy laughs too. I become really confused. I close my eyes to sleep as Billy makes a joke causing MY best friend to laugh.

A few hours later, it's around 3:30 in the morning and I wake up. I rub the sleep from my eyes as I start to feel nauseous. This always happened when I had a bad feeling about something. I ran into the bathroom of Freddy's house and threw up into the toilet. I closed the bathroom door before I hurled up our dinner again.

I pull myself up to the counter and put my mouth under the running water to rinse my mouth out. I spit the water into the sink and curl into a ball against the cupboards under the sink. I cough. Tears spilling from my eyes. Small tears, it was just from the vomiting.

"Hello?" I hear through the door. I look up at it and don't respond. "Um... It's Billy."

I shake my head wanting nothing but for him to fuck off. "Go away," I say, the cold appearing through my voice.

"Y/n? Are you alright?" He asks. I sniffle a bit and grab a tissue to blow my nose.

"Why do you care?" I ask.

"Because I was kind of a prick to you at dinner and I didn't mean to be, I just... I don't like being in a foster family. My-... My mom is still out there. She's waiting for me." I felt bad but answered with full honesty.

"You should be happy here. I'd kill to live in this house. This is the best family ever, Pedro is the only impossible to tolerate one in here. Well... That was till you showed up." I felt SUPER guilty about saying that and the door clicks and opens. "DUDE! What're you-"

"Ssh, ssh. People are sleeping," he says. He closes the door and I flush the toilet. "What happened? Did you... Did you self harm?" He looks at the counter and I stand up in front of him, the small bathroom all the space we had. I look down at the counter and see a pair of scissors with red on them.

"N-No! I was just... I was sick. I threw up... I didn't mean to, okay? I didn't... I'd never self-harm," I state as seriously as possible. Obviously, I was lying but no matter how cute he is, he's still a jerk and I'm not going to be melting in his arms saying "Oh, Billy. Life is awful. Please protect me with your oh so perfect physique."

"Did you hear me?" He asks.

"Hm?" I ask. I was daydreaming about the prick in the bathroom with me. What he said reminded me how big of a prick he actually was.

"Can you leave? Some people need to pee and that's why they're here." He leaned against the wall and I elbow him while walking out. He closes and locks the door once I'm out and I go back in.

"Y/n?" I hear from the top bunk. I look up and see Freddy sitting there, looking down at me.

"I'm fine," I say, already knowing he's going to ask if I'm okay.

"Okay, good. Where's Billy?" He asks, looking at the bottom bunk.

"He's in the bathroom, still being a fucking asshole." Billy sighs at my statement and shakes his head.

The next morning we had eaten breakfast awkwardly because of Billy staring at me every few seconds. Once we got to school though, Darla said some Darla thing and Billy had told her the WORST thing you could tell her.

"I'm not really your brother," he said. Darla's face just slowly fell.

Darla says an "okay," and goes towards her locker. Freddy wraps his arm around her shoulders to make her feel better.

Billy calls to them "I'm sorry, I-I didn't mean to-" Freddy just shakes his head at Billy as if to tell him it's alright.

I shouldered Billy while walking past him and whispered "Asshole."

I looked back only to hear a faint "Y/n..." from him. I shake my head and continue towards my locker.

After school, we all went outside and the same to bullies that came everyday grabbed Freddy. "Let him go!" I yell.

Billy came outside and began watching the situation happen. They pushed him down and Billy just shook his head and walked away.

They began to tease Freddy and kick him. Darla, Eugene, Pedro, Mary and I just stood there in complete shock. "Leave him alone!" Darla yells. The two boys laugh.

Eugene grabs nunchucks from one of the boys' pocket and says "I know how to use these," before swinging them around and hitting himself in the back of the head. I shake my head looking at the ground.

I hear one of the bullies yell "You need your fake family to stand up for you?!" and look over to see Billy Batson stopped in place.

The other bully yells "Gonna go run home to your mommy?!"

Billy walks over and says "Hey," before grabbing Freddy's walking stick and nailing one of the guys in the face with it, hitting the other guy in the stomach after. Both boys fall to the ground as Billy says "Man, sorry about that." I bit my lip a little watching this happen, a small smile creeping to my face. Mary smirked at me and shouldered me. I elbowed her and glared at her.

Billy runs off down the street as the two guys chase after him. The foster kids and I kneel down next to Freddy to make sure he's okay. I watch Billy run off wondering "where does he think he's going?"