XXVII: A Heart to Heart Part One

"The Devil's Heart can only sacrifice so many souls at a time."

"There are about three days of quietude between each group of souls. We implore you to use those days wisely."

The Council's warning echoed in Nadia's mind, as she was sure they did in everyone else's. She was training Mark and Caitlyn to their breaking points, barely even stopping to eat or sleep. Mark set his shield down, the metallic clang echoing throughout the high walls of the castle's training room. "Can't we stop?" he panted. "Or at least take a break? Fifteen minutes, an hour at most."

Caitlyn bent over, resting her hands on her knees. "Yeah, I don't know about you, but some of us need sleep."

Nadia's eyes narrow as an idea forms in her mind. "No... you need a challenge." She placed her sword in Mark's hands. "Hold this for me, will you?" Something unpredictable shone in her eyes. She spun on her heel, heading for the exit.

"Where are you going?" Caitlyn asked. Nadia didn't reply, disappearing behind the doors, one being partially left open.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Nadia had been to every place in the castle she could think of where Anti might be; he was nowhere to be found. All that was left to search was the stables. When she arrived, she just about was trampled by a team of black stallions, a few stable boys running behind them. Nadia jumped out of way and when the dust cleared she could see and hear Anti laughing his ass off. Or course.

"Anti...why?" She asked, shaking her head. "You were doing better so... why?"

Anti casually walked over to Nadia, shoving his hands in his pockets, as if he just hadn't freed the horses from the stables. "I was bored. And I like to mess with Dark. Killing two birds with one stone. You surprised?"

"Honestly? Yes. I didn't think cutting the horses free was your kind of mischief. I thought you'd be chasing chambermaids around the castle."

Anti walked closer to Nadia. "Dark's servants are skittish humans; they're probably terrified of doing the wrong thing."

"Wouldn't you be if you were simply human and worked for the great Darkiplier?"

"Guess you have a point. What do you want, Red?"

From behind her back, Nadia pulled out a knife, sharp and glinting in the light. Anti raised his hands. "Come on, Red, you know those comments I made in the past were just me messing with you. None of them were true-okay, some of them were kinda true-but, I mean-"

Nadia scoffs. "Kill a Lord with witnesses still alive? I'm not an amateur." She spins the knife around so that the handle faces Anti and hands him the knife.

"So this knife isn't coated in holy water?"

"Unfortunately, no," Nadia answered. "I need your assistance."

Anti takes the knife hesitantly. "Which is...?"

"I need you to cut my hair."

"You're...hair?"

Nadia nods. "That's correct." they began walking towards Anti's room.

Anti looked baffled. "Okay, I have two questions: one, why me, and two, why in general?"

Nadia placed her hands on her hips. "Alright, Anti, I have two answers. One, I don't trust anyone else here, Mark and Caitlyn are breaking from their rigorous training, Seán is quite busy researching new spells-apparently Servilia has a bunch of unheard ones in its library-, and Dark and Adelaide are busy doing whatever it is a King and Queen do-"