XIV: Who Can I Trust? Part One

*Adelaide's P.O.V.*

Once when I was younger, eleven or twelve or so, I chased one of our dogs, Calla, into deep into the Dark Woods. At the time, there was no wall separating them from us. And I went after her until I looked back and realized I could not see the castle anymore. Then I started to hear sounds, cries: the wails of the damned. I remember not feeling scared or paralyzed with fear, but actually calm, for I knew someone would eventually find me. So, I closed my eyes tight, and waited until I heard the rushed footprints of a guard.

There was no guard this time.

"Who else knows? Who else is aware that I am not who I- whom you and and everyone else claim me to be?" I demanded.

"More people than I'd like to admit: Your father, your late mother, Seán, myself, and. . . The Crown Council."

I blanched. "The. . . The Crown Council? The Crown Council?" Dark, if the Crown Council knows, then there is no possible way in hell I will be able to take the throne! I am illegitimate I'm-"

"A Bastard." Dark finished. The word rolled over me in waves and I suddenly felt ill.

"So all that preparation I have done was for nothing? All of the practice treaties and and all of the business meetings I have sat in on are just useless now?"

"Adelaide-"

And technically speaking, I am already queen-yes, I haven't had my coronation yet, but even so-can they take that away also?"

"Adelaide listen-"

And what about the line? An heir? No one has heard from Lucia since the night of the ball, and for all we no she could be dead-"

"Adelaide, listen!" Dark boomed, his voice resonating throughout the field. He sighed and envelopes my hand in his. "When you were born, an agreement meant was made amongst the council. As long as you marry a king, you may Keep your title as Queen."

I felt tears roll down my face and curl under my chin. "You lied to me," I said with a broken smile as my voice faltered. "You lied. . .". Who can I trust anymore?

Dark ran his fingers through his hair and let out a frustrated sigh. "If you would just understand, we-I did it for your own good." I scoffed softly.

"Right. For my own good." I looked to the horizon, it had grown a deep red, almost black. Night time was upon us. "I have to go talk to Seán." I inhaled deeply and began to walk towards the castle. A large part of myself hoped that Dark would run after me, apologize at least.

But he didn't.