Chapter 12

A/N - I have two important announcements, as thanks to the magical elf (MusicalLover8), I am going to be promoting her new book and doing a review on it when it has been released. So far that I've been told, this book will be mostly about fantasy and a bit of romance. Stay tuned for more information if you're interested! Also, I hope you guys like the new book cover I made, it's not the best but I'm really proud of it because it came out better than I expected. I really hope you guys like it, I might be working on another one once I figure out my digital art program. Anyways, if you like this chapter, please vote and comment your feedback! It is really appreciated and I am always looking for help to grow as an author! Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!

(Name) was sitting outside, reading a book as she kept watch of Jake and his friend, Todd, while they played. Even though (Name) really wanted to read, she couldn't focus. Her mind drifted off to Ben. She recalled how he had never told her who he really was... rather, what he was. He certainly wasn't normal, considering the fact that he had messed with the rides at the fair.

"(Name)?" Jake walked up to her, catching her off guard and pulling her back to reality.

"Huh?! Oh! Jake? What's up?" (Name) closed the book and smiled at her little brother.

"I'm going over to Todd's house to play." Jake was about to walk off when (Name) pulled him back. He fell onto her lap and he was held close to her as she hugged him.

"Don't forget to tell Aunt Mary before you go over there." (Name) let go of Jake and watched him run off to tell their aunt.

"Well, that couldn't have gone better." A voice said from behind her.

(Name) quickly jumped up from the ground and turned around to see who it was. It was Ben, she should have known by now that he would do something like this eventually. Ben flashed a toothy grin as he rubbed the back of his head. (Name) noticed something different about him. She looked closer and saw that he wasn't cleaned up like how he has been the last couple of times.

"Why are you out in the open like this?! And in my backyard of all places!" (Name) grabbed Ben's arm and dragged him to the side of the house. It was thankfully covered by bushes and flowers; not to mention that the backyard was fenced in. The side of the house was the only place that Aunt Mary couldn't see them; this made (Name) feel a bit better but she was still on guard in case Jake or Aunt Mary came by. If they did, Ben would just be shoved into the bushes and hopefully get the message.

"Why are you here anyway?" (Name) asked as she folded her arms. Ben looked hesitant but he nodded to himself as he mumbled something too quiet for (Name) to hear.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing important. Anyway, I came here because I was bored and also to tell you something." He looked down at his feet. This wasn't like Ben to act like this. It worried (Name), was it something bad?

"Okay? I'm listening." She felt herself getting a bit tight in the chest, worried that he would tell her bad news. She didn't know why she felt this way, there wasn't anything that could have caused this, at least, of what she knew of anyway.

"You remember how you asked about what I am?" Ben shuffled around uncomfortably. (Name) furrowed her eyebrows, how convenient was this?

"Yeah, I remember. Is that why you came like this? Blood and all?" She motioned toward his clothing and face. The blood slowly dripping down his face with his black sclera eyes with red irises looking slightly at her. Why in the world was she not panicking, (Name) didn't know. Anyone in their right mind would be screaming at the sight of this though.

"Well... yeah, something like that. I just thought it would help explain things to you. Not to mention," Ben perked up a bit as he gave (Name) a big smile, "I want you to be able to see the real me!"

(Name) nodded her head. At least he was excited about this. She was just curious, but a part of her couldn't help but be happy with him as well. She didn't know what it was about Ben but he managed to make her smile no matter what.

"I know you won't believe this but I know you've seen some of the things I can do with your own eyes. I want you to be able to trust me, so I'm going to start off by telling you the truth about what I really am." He went quiet after this. Ben stared at (Name), searching for any hint of resistance so far. "Obviously, I'm no ordinary human being. In fact, I'm not technically human? I guess the term poltergeist fits but I feel like I'm more than that. At the same time though, I do like to mess with people and I'm able to manipulate electricity."

"Wait... so you're actually dead?"

"Let me finish." (Name) was quiet, Ben took that as a signal to continue. "I know that I'm not entirely like an actual poltergeist. I mean, people can actually see me and I'm solid, that is if ghosts are really thin... nevermind about that part. I'm not sure what I am to be honest. All I know is that I'm not like you and I just wanted to tell you that." Ben looked at (Name) with hopeful eyes. He searched for any hint of anger or frightened look on (Name), but she stood there, taking it all in like someone had just told her that tomatoes were on sale.

"But why come like this? Why come all bloodied up?"

She finally had asked something, something Ben couldn't entirely answer other than with, "This is what I really look like. I know I looked nice and normal before but I can change my appearance. Watch this." Ben held out his arm that had patches of blood on it. His arm began to look like a computer glitching and with static from the TV appearing on his arm. His arm changed to a clean, normal arm. Then he had turned it back to the way it was originally. (Name) was shocked.

"H-How did you do that?" She looked up at Ben and then back to his arm, still trying to process what just happened.

"I just have to focus on how I want to look and then I just slowly change into that form. Once it's done, I stay that way until I change again." Ben shrugged his shoulders, he was acting like this was nothing new. (Name) rubbed the sides of her temple. This was a bit much to process but she felt a portion of her become happy that he had shared this with her. Silence fell between the two. Ben shuffled around awkwardly, waiting for (Name) to say something.

(Name) kept opening and closing her mouth before she could say, "I'm sorry... I'm sorry for not having anything to say. I'm still processing this but... it's okay, you don't have to worry about anything." She nodded to herself as she said this. It was as if she was also telling herself it's okay.

(Name) grabbed a hold of Ben and pulled him close for a hug. Ben slowly wrapped his arms around her, he was surprised that (Name) was hugging him. When they let go of each other, Ben poof-ed away, leaving (Name) speechless. She walked away, happy that she was finally answered.