Southern Cross

A/N:

1. This will be a back-to-back chapter consist of two cities in the Latin America, Rio de Janeiro and Buenos Aires.

2. Hope you enjoy this conclusion of "the Americas" arc!

3. This chapter mentioned real life Japanese celebrities and I took liberty for their friendship with Kousei and Kaori.

4. All hotels mentioned in this story is real and Tripadvisor helped me much.

August 5th, 2024. Rio de Janeiro, Brasil

"Ladies and gentlemen, we are to be landing shortly" The announcement signed the imminent landing on board American Airlines Flight 973, after another normal 9 hour flight from New York - JFK to Rio - Galeao International Airport in Rio de Janeiro, Kousei and Kaori's first Latin American destination.

During the flight Kousei had his personal notebook went out in order to write his own review of the airline's service which will also written in an airline rating website, Skytrax.

He wrote, "Major US airlines had surely improved their in flight service. This is one of my best experience ever aboard American Airlines so far with fast check in back in JFK and excellent lounge service, in fact we pushed back ahead of schedule while it turned out to compensate for a long holding time before takeoff.

As my wife is a cancer survivor she is quite concerned in terms of diet. For that sake she choose a vegetarian in-flight meal for herself. Turns out it's very delicious, along with my own.

On board immigration service went on like a breeze, further complemented by friendly crew.

The IFE also works well with good amount of movie and music selection. As we are classical type musicians, we mainly indulge ourselves with classical symphonies on the menu.

Going to recommend American Airlines more, particularly to my friends often flying to the United States. No wonder they deserved 4-star rating.

---

Upon landing, we are surprised by extensive presence of Brazilian army soldiers along with state military police officers (1) and regular airport security inside arrival terminal.

"What's going on?" I asked my chief bodyguard, Takashima Kenta, a former Tokyo police SAT operative (2).

"Rio had just have another security crisis with three favelas attacked and occupied by drug traffickers, Mr. and Mrs. Arima, 25 police officers were killed and many more wounded." He said to us, still maintaining his composure as his fellow bodyguards prepared their pistols for worst-case scenario as the entourage went out from the arrival area of the Galeao International Airport, Rio de Janeiro.

"Thankfully it is under control now but the military and police are still on increased alert in case of another clash." said Mako Nishizumi, another of my guards.

For their Brazilian concert they sleep at Sheraton Grand Rio Hotel and Resort.

"Welcome to Rio, Mr and Mrs. Arima! We glad of your first visit to our country. And please accept our apologize for your inconvenience during your arrival" said the head of the Brazilian organizer of their concert. Mauricio Leal, as they are arrived in their scheduled venue, Sala Cecilia Meireles theatre, in Lapa district, Rio.

"We cannot quit now as we already here." I replied.

He can feel his resolve to keep going with the concert despite the security risk embolden everyone in the theater especially Kaori.

The theater also a home for the country's prominent symphonic orchestra; Brazil Symphony Orchestra.

As the situation in the city is still under heightened alert, the theater isn't only guarded by the local security; the state government has even deployed a part of it's elite police unit, the dreaded BOPE (3) to specifically protect the area which Kousei and Kaori can recognize from their well-known patch, a knife in a skull over crossed pistols.