Chapter 20

Again I dreamed of Mason and woke up to drown my sorrows with more vodka.  I wanted to get drunk but that wasn't going to happen.  It was an impossible hope anyway.  I couldn't get drunk no matter how hard I tried.  It couldn't be done and that's all there was to it.  Though, I still wished I could.  I still tried.

I pulled my desk chair over to the window and sat.  I stared out the window for hours drinking bottle after bottle of vodka.  I kept thinking about Mason.  His dark blue eyes bore into me from the perfect recollection of my pristine memory.  I kept seeing him flip his hair out of his eyes.  Every memory was chased down with a gulp of vodka.

No one came in to bother me.  I think it was mostly because of Ian and Mark.  Marcus had left my office before I'd woken earlier.  He'd left a folded note on my desk in his absence.  I left it folded and it was sitting in my lap as I stared out the window from my rolly chair.  Every once in a while I'd look down as it to consider opening it.  I wanted to know the secret it held but also didn't.  What if it said something I didn't want to know?

When I finally gave in I sat my vodka down in the floor by my chair.  There were empty bottles scattered all over the floor of my office.  I thought my fangs were going to be permanently descended.  I didn't care how many I polished off so long as one office lackeys kept on bringing me more.  They always put full bottles down by my right.  The empty bottles always went to my left or I tossed then over one of my shoulders to inform a lackey I was in need of more.

Anyway, I sat my bottle down at my right and picked the folded piece of paper off my lap and opened it.  I turned it the correct way.  Once I had the words facing the right way I stared down at Marcus's elegent scrawl . . .

When I return, my dear, we need to talk.