Chapter 17

"Let's go," Mason said.  The sound of his voice was muffled by his helmet.  He was tugging on his goggles right at that moment.  I glanced across the lot at his bike where it sat.  It was bright red.  How showy!  I rolled my eyes.  I guess the fact that it was a Mitsubishi helped out a little on his part.  I let it go and climbed onto my bike.

"You get your keys?"  I looked up at him, where he stood at my left, as I pulled my hair back and yanked on my helmet.

"Yeah," he said and climbed on behind me.

His hands wrapped around my waist and I felt a chill shoot up my spine.  First-touch.  I bit down on my lip and heard Mason sigh behind me.  It was a deep throaty sigh that hung in the air like the scent of pine needles in a pine forest, as we were both frozen by the affects of First-touch.  Finally it wore off and I couldn't get my key in the starter fast enough.

The engine started with a purr and the vibrations tickled the insides of my calves and thighs, all the way up to my stomach.  It was like standing in the center of an arena while the entire crowd full of people stomped their feet to the beat of We Will Rock You by Queen.  It felt amazing.  I turned the gas and smoothly moved forward and lifted my feet off the ground.  We Rocketed through the streets as I headed for the farthest abandoned warehouse from town.  Finally I found it and shut the Ducati off.

There was a terrible feeling of guilt in my stomach.  I hated it.  I knew what I had to do and I was going to do it.  I was going to Kill Mason Faye.  I was going to take him away from the world.  I felt like I was dying.  I wanted to.  I envied humans in that fatal truth of theirs.  They got to die and move on.  Vampires were cursed to walk the Earth until the end of time.  We were Jealous of them.  All of them.

My stomach dropped when I heard the engine of my bike cut to silence.  This was it.  Mason's time was almost up.  I would be the one to hit the detonator.  I would kill Mason.  I would be his murderer.

My body chilled over as I realized the truth in what I was about to do.  Every hair on my body stood on end.  I'm a murderer.

I climbed off my bike and clipped my keys to my belt.  I turned to Mason.

"If I'm not back in ten minutes I want you to come in after me."  I took the oportunity to drink Mason in.  He was beautiful, of course.  His dark blond hair was rumpled from wearing his helmet, which was sitting in front of him now.

His blue eyes were as dark and as deep as the ocean.  His skin was pinkish in color and his lips were full.  I smiled at him before I walked away so I could admire his return smile.  It was stunning.  There was always something about a vampire that made them look even more exquisite before they were killed.  Or so Marcus had told me.

Mason's shoulders were relaxed as my eyes finally left him.  In this moment I wanted nothing more than to break down and just cry.  Taking a life was a crime against nature.  Mason and I were part of the top link in the food chain.  My murdering him would stay with me forever.  I'd never forget his scream or the way eternity left his eyes when I killed him.  I didn't want to keep these things with me.  I wanted to let them go.

As I reached for the door to the inside of the abandoned warehouse I took a breath.  It was the deepest breath I had ever taken and as I took it from the world I felt my heart grow heavy with sadness.

It was the first time in six years I had even felt my heart do anything, which made it all the more consuming.  I was going to live though killing Mason.  My heart would be allowed to feel; maybe even beat once every few minutes.  I would feel as if I were dying with him.  Then, when it was over I would feel myself slam back into eternities clutches.  Its iron clad talons encasing me in its icy promise of forever.