4

"You're such a player, you know that?"

I gasp out loud and put my hand over my chest. She glares at me and hits my arm. Even though the gesture is intended to be hurtful, the force of her arm is equal to none.

"I'm sorry," I say as she keeps shooting daggers at me. She folds her arms across her chest and tries to act like she's upset.

"Where do you live?" I ask, biting my bottom lip to refrain from laughing.

"Drive ahead and turn at the three-way," she says in a monotone.

I didn't ask you where to drive, I asked you where you live.

But I know how well that remark will upset her.

I look at her but she doesn't turn to face me, instead she faces the window. She can be such a baby.

"I'm not a player. I mean, I know I could pass out to be, given my good looks," she turns to face me, the expression in her face reading 'Really?'

A smile is slowly forming on her lips and she bites her lip visibly. Almost there.

"But?" she motions for me to continue.

"I'm really not. I think I might as well call myself a pope because of how long I've been single."

"Which is how long exactly? Three, four hours?" she rolls her eyes.

"Oh, no. A year and," I pause as I calculate mentally. "Seven months." This earns me a smile from her. If I knew this was what I had to say in order to get a smile reaction, damn the things I would have said to her.

"Do you have a...?"

"A...what?" She tries to act all serious. "A cat? Yeah, I have three cats; Lilla, Stimpo and Crocs."

Damn girl. Why would someone like cats? Dogs, maybe. But cats? That's a no from me.

Got the Simon Cowell reference?

"A boyfrrr," I murmur awkwardly. How would he feel if he found out I was out here driving his girl home?

If it were my girlfriend I know for sure I wouldn't even wait for an explanation as to why another guy was driving her home. I'd start a fight with him there and then. Pretty arrogant, but I like to keep what's mine to myself. If you ask someone to describe me, best believe they'll just say, 'He doesn't like sharing'.

That's all they need to say. That's all there is to say, anyway.

"Three years," she says simply and points to a house on the left side of the street.

I don't know why I feel disappointed that she has a boyfriend. I expected it, didn't I? "He's a keeper," I say as I slow down. "And lucky, too."

"No silly. I've been single for three years."

I smile broadly at that and she tugs a strand of hair that escaped her ponytail behind her ear.

"Thanks for the ride, Kyle."

She unbuckles her seatbelt and opens the car door. I take hold of her hand and she hums for me to continue.

"I'm picking you up on Friday, right?"

Call me crazy, but there's just something about her I can't let go of just yet.

"Uh," she looks out the window before turning to me with worry. "Really? But-"

"I'll take that as a yes. Therefore, I'll need your number."

I hand her my phone and she hesitates before entering her number.

"Now can I go?" She gives me puppy eyes and pouts adorably.

I let go of her hand and open my door as well. She exhales out loud and pinches the bridge of her nose when I appear next to her.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"Just making sure you're safely in bed," I shrug.

"No, you're not."

"Why? Is your boyfriend in there?" I rolled my eyes playfully.

"I told you I do not have a boyfriend. And someone much worse than my 'boyfriend' is in there," she makes air quotes while she whisper-yells.

"Yeah? And who might that be?"

"My mom," she widens her eyes as she says that, as if she can't fathom why I didn't catch onto that from the beginning.

She pulls her keys out of her purse and mumbles under her breath. Just then, the door is pulled open and a petite lady that looks like she's in her middle 40s is standing before us. An eerie silence falls around us as we just stare at each other.

She nudges my arm and glances over to my car. I look back at my car and then to the lady I'm guessing is her mom.

Surely, I can't just leave without saying hi, now can I? I smirk at her before facing her mom.

"Good evening, Ma'am." I stretch my hand out for her to shake.

"Good evening." She greets back as she delivers a firm handshake.

"I'd like to inform you that she..." I motion to her daughter. But was she really her daughter? What if she's maybe her aunt or cousin? What if the lady standing before us is her sister or nanny and her mom is somewhere inside? "...was with me, so if you feel the need to scold anyone, that would be me."

I glance at the girl I met at the bar and she seems like she can't wait to get her hands on me. Something tells me she'll have a pair of scissors and a knife as well.

The lady chuckles after seeing this as well, and opens the door wider for us to come in. I press the lock button on the remote key and watch as the car's lights flicker a bright orange colour to indicate that it's now locked. I follow the two ladies inside and they seem to lead me to what looks like the backyard.

You know what they say about taking someone you don't know to the backyard?

Me neither.

"You say Tess was with you, huh?"

Tess. Wonderful name.

"Yes ma'am.

"You guys used protection, right?"

I tried to hold in my laughter while Tess' face turned bright.

"We most certainly did." Her mom looked at me and shook her head slowly, laughing to herself as she realises I'm just messing around.

"I like him already," she tells an embarrassed Tess and turns to me. "What's your name?"

"Kyle. Kyle Reesogn."

"Julia Peterson." She says in a businesslike tone.

That means it's also Tess Peterson.

"It's a pleasure meeting you, ma'am. If you'll excuse me, I'll get going." I shake Julia's hand. "Tess, do you mind showing me to the door, please?" She sighs out loud to show her exhaustion.

"I really don't want to get lost in such a beautiful house," I add and glance in Tess' mom's direction when I say beautiful.

She walks to the front door and holds it open for me. I look at her for a moment before engulfing her in a tight hug by wrapping my arms around her waist. Surprisingly, she doesn't fight me off. Instead, she wraps her arms around my torso as well. We stay moulded together like this for a few seconds before pulling away.

"Goodnight," I whisper as I kiss her forehead and step out into the cold.

"Goodnight," she whispers behind me.