A Deadly Vacation

A Diamond in the Shadows AU

The brilliant blue sky was spotless. The sun was bright and warm on Jared's back. He could feel the pristine white sand seeping between his toes. The clear water lapped at his ankles. It was a beautiful day for everyone but Jared. It felt sinful that everyone got to enjoy a day like this when Jared had a thundering storm cloud over his head.

He had seen a large lavender boat floating out toward sea. Jared immediately recognized the hideous paint job of his family's boat. His mood had drastically darkened from then on. Jared was overwhelmed with a sense of abandonment. His parents were leaving him behind! On an island! Jared pulled out his phone to call his mom. No service. He couldn't contact anyone. This wouldn't have happened if they hadn't come on this dreadful vacation. Jared was fuming. If you looked hard enough you could see the smoke pouring out of Jared's ear. This wasn't helping his mood at all.

Jared heard movement behind him and turned. It was a girl. He recognized the girl from the other family on this island."What do you want?" Jared spat. His mood wasn't improving one pint. The girl took a step back, shocked by his tone. "I...um...wanted to tell...that your family... had an...emergency...back at home. They...uh...had to  leave...immediately... and... couldn't find you...so they...left you in my families care," she stammered out, meek as a mouse. Jared had a raging fire in his eyes. His parents had LEFT knowing that HE wasn't on board! HE would have to have a talk with his parents.

The girl, a little more confident now but still a little frightened said,"Come with me. I will show you where to sleep." Jared followed the girl into the thick jungle. The girl was talking to him, all the way through the thick jungle. She was talking about her siblings, her older sister and brother. She talked about how they stay on the island all year. They only went to the mainland for work or supplies. Jared wasn't listening. He was thinking of ways to get off this dreaded island. Suddenly, Jared had a thought. The boat left 20 minutes ago, so if Jared called now, he could get picked up. "Do you have cell service?" Jared interrupted. "Why would you need cell service?" She asked, confused. "To call my parents," he stated. "Here," she said, "Come with me." She abruptly, disappeared into the thick overgrowth of the jungle. "Hey," yelled Jared, "Wait for me!" Jared looked around to see where she went. He walked in a circle looking for a path, but couldn't find one. He felt like the jungle was closing in on him. Jared was sure he would get lost in this jungle without the girl to lead him through. Every way he looked seemed to be the same. Panic and fear were starting to enter his brain. What if he died in this forest? No one would find him.

The world seemed to spin, as Jared reflected on his life. He hadn't done anything worth mentioning. He wasn't all that good of a brother. Jared wasn't a star student or athlete. All he really cared about was his video games and music. He had so much more that he wanted to do in his life. He didn't want to die in this jungle, on this island. Suddenly he saw pink lights light up around him. It led into the trees, the way the girl had come. The lights were the same color as the girl's eyes. Wait. The girl's eyes were bright pink! That wasn't a humane eye color. I was so blinded by my rage I didn't realize thas simple thing.

What if she's an alien trying to abduct me. Or maybe she wants to eat me. Jared's thoughts were in disarray. They were all over the place. He had so many questions. As he was rethinking his decision to trust the girl with pink eyes, he saw red lights appear, going the opposite direction of the pink lights. It seemed that both lights would lead him out of this jungle. Jared was contemplating which lights to follow. Jared felt a tug at his waist. He looked down to find a glowing red rope tied around his waist. Well, that was a deal-breaker. Jared started walking towards the pink lights, when they disappeared and he was pulled backwards. Jared's heels were dragging along the dirt, marking his tracks. 'Once I get out of these ropes, I will use these tracks to find my way back to the shore.