Savior

Why was it always him? Martin was normal, yet it was his gay friends, Andrew and Chris that got the invites. He was always left behind. He was the one cleaning the apartment they were living in together. His friends were great. They had offered him to come with them. He had declined. Martin hadn't gotten an invite for a reason. The host didn't want him there. He had enough of the silent bullying. The rumors that spread like wildfire. The 'quiet' whispers as he walked by. How everyone but his friends avoided him like the plague. He was tired of being the outcast. He stopped cleaning and put his tools away. Then he left the apartment.
Martin walked into a shady area of the city. He needed someone who liked him. His best friend, James. He was into some shady stuff, like drugs and gangs. Martin liked James because he was always high and gave him an escape from reality. He entered the alleyway to the secret entrance. He went through the security systems with ease.
Martin was always smart with gadgets. He could bypass all security systems. If you wanted the highest level of security, you go to Martin. At least, his alter ego. An AI of himself. Martin wasn't going to jail for something like destroying a government security so he could get some money.
Martin found James in the common room. He was with some other buddies, but took immediate notice of Martin. He quickly supplied Martin with a joint.
~~~
Martin was on cloud 9 and wasn't coming back anytime soon. James realized that Martin would overdose soon if he got anymore. He wouldn't be able to go back to his apartment and make things look normal. James went to look for some sleeping pills. Martin could sleep off his high and go home later today. That was a fatal mistake.
~~~
James had left Martin alone. Martin knew he was overdosing. It felt wonderful but would kill him. Not that he minded dying. No one would be affected much if he died. His friends would have each other. James might not even remember him. He was an outcast at college. He had an AI to take care of his hacking/gang business. Anna. She would be the only person to care. She was Andrew's little sister and the only person who was nice to him. But Anna was away at art school. She wouldn't know til it was too late. It was a price for eternal peace. He would take it. Moments later he slumped back on the chair. He heard James rushing down and calling 911. Then he blacked out.

~~~3 months later~~~

Anna was glad to be back home. She had finished her 4 year course in 2 years. She would get to see her parents and Andrew. She would see Martin and tell him how she felt. She knew he felt the same, unless she had waited too long and he already had someone. That would be sad, but she would have to get over it.

Her parents were really traditional and a slight bit racist. Martin was black and she was white. That was a minor problem that would be overcome later.

She had a short visit with her parents as she was very excited about her confession and would have all the time in the world with her parents. Then she rushed over to Andrew's apartment he shared with Martin and his other friend Chris. She knocked on the door just as they opened it.
~~~
Andrew was surprised but ecstatic to have his little sister back. She jumped into his arms. Once they had a little reunion Anna asked an odd question. "Are you still friends with Martin?"

That brought him back to the reason he and Chris were leave the apartment. They were going to visit Martin. They were shocked when they got the call that he had overdosed and had been suffering of severe depression.

"We were just going to see him. You can come with us," he answered.

Anna seemed surprised. "He doesn't live here?"

"No, he's just not here now."

Andrew didn't want to tell his little sister about Martin. He had a feeling it would end very badly or very nicely. But she deserved to know.

He drove towards the hospital. Realizing this, Anna asked, "Why are we going to the hospital?"

This was it. He would have to tell her.

"Martin was going through severe depression."

Anna groaned. "It's happened, hasn't it. He's gone and overdosed. And now he's lying on his death bed."

Andrew looked at Anna shocked. She softly muttered, "I told that idiot not to do it. I leave for a couple years and he does what. He overdoses just like he promised he wouldn't."

Anna calms herself. "How is he?"

Apparently, Anna knew more about his best friend than he did.

"He's awake, bedridden, has slight breathing problems and isn't improving. How do you know so much about Martin?"

"I really like him. I would have told him earlier but with his depression, a long distance relationship wouldn't work out."

"Mother won't like that," Andrew warned.

"Not anymore than she'll like your relationship with Chris," Anna countered.

"Touché," Andrew conceded.

They arrived at the hospital and
greeted the receptionist. She let them go up as they had been there enough times to know her.
~~~
Martin was wheezing. The nurse quickly attached him to some oxygen. He wouldn't take full life support. He wanted to die. He could have recovered completely but he took as little medicine as possible, flushing most of it down the toilet.

He was just regaining his breath when his daily visitors arrived. His friends Andrew and Chris. He saw someone else, Anna.

Why was she here? Who told her about him? He was sure he would start wheezing, with the way his best was beating faster.

Andrew and Chris had left, leaving him and Anna alone. She came over to him. She slapped him, leaving his cheek stinging. She then hugged him and started crying.

"You idiot," she mumbled into his shirt.

She stood and wiped her tears. Thank God for that. Martin had no experience with crying girls. He knew Anna would figure it out. She could read him like an open book.

"You could at least try to get better," Anna stated.

His nurse came in with lunch and his medication. This was the worst time. Anna took control from the nurse. She made him eat every bite of his lunch and every medicine.

"I like you a lot you know. You're not dying on me. If you reject me it will be out of this hospital. If you accept me, this will build our relationship."
~~~

Anna determination and love made him overcome his depression. She was there everyday, making sure he got better. The doctors decided Anna was a miracle worker.

Slowly Martin recovered. He left the hospital, finished college and realized his depression made up the silent bullying. He wasn't an outcast. He thanked Anna for getting through his depression and helping him get back on track.

This was actually a dream I had. I just modified it to make it flow.

I think the song above may have triggered the dream and it's sort of fitting for the story and theme.

Hope you liked it, though it was a bit rushed and may be a little confusing.
Tell me what you think in the comments.

~KC~