Chapter 18: The Simpsons And A Forgotten Reminder

Chapter 18:

*Jordan Simpson*

I found myself smiling all the way back to my house. It only took a few minutes but still, it's not that often that I can go that long smiling to myself. I'm pretty sure that I got a few weird looks but I didn't care.

I don't know why I was so happy. All I had done for the past few hours was play in a kiddie's park, laugh my guts out at Alexa's expense and then spill my personal life out to someone who hates me. Perfect.

So then why was I feeling so great? I'm pretty sure I would have literally skipped home if it were not for my reputation to uphold. And my manliness of course.

As I arrived back home, there was a new car parked on the drive next to mine. Any other person may have thought that they had visitors but I just guessed my parents had gone out and bought a new car. No biggie. It happened often.

I climbed up the path that led to my... rather large house. Well, mansion I guess. I knew I was very lucky to live in a house like this. My parents were pretty famous movie directors which was how they could afford this house and a new car practically every month.

They had been directing fairly small movies early on in their career but it was nearly ten years ago when their job really took off. They had become properly discovered with one movie in particular that they had directed. It came on quite suddenly and was a huge hit with a very large audience. It was called Race To The Year 3000 and was the action-time travel movie of the year.

My parents had given me a part in the movie as they had said that they couldn't find anybody for the role, but as I got older I had my suspicions that the real reason was not that. I was only about ten at the time so played the son of the main character. It was a fun experience and I got to meet some famous actors and actresses which I wasn't going to complain about.

The film had won a number of awards within a year of release and had given great publicity to further movies that my parents had directed.

You'd think that they would always be away doing their job in one country or another, but surprisingly, they still managed to be at home for a lot of their time which I was thankful for. I know that there are a lot of kids out there whose parents are not always at home.

"I'm home," I called out as I entered my house.

"Hey Honey, how was school? How come your late home today?" My mom asked. She was sitting at the dining table reading the newspaper and drinking coffee. Her blonde highlighted, brown hair was scooped into a butterfly clip, with her fringe clipped messily out of her face. She was in her casual clothes for a change: a plain pink top and a pair of jeans. It was weird seeing her dressed like this on the odd occasions, as she would usually be dressed for business. This must be her day off. I plopped down next to her.

"It was good thanks," was all I said, taking a cookie from the middle of the table.

Unfortunately, my mom was one of those people who noticed everything. She closed the newspaper, set her coffee mug down on the table and turned to me.

"What aren't you telling me, Jordan?" She looked me straight in the eye and raised a sculpted eyebrow. Her green irises locked onto my identical ones. How was it that she could always tell when something was going on. "Why don't you want to tell me where you've been? I'm your mother, you can tell me everything."

I groaned and slumped in my seat. She would get it out of me eventually so I might as well just tell her.

"I was out with someone, mom," I said vaguely. "-And yes, it was a girl," I said quickly before she could ask. "-And no, nothing is going on," I finished.