Chapter 6| Questioning Loyalties

The healer suddenly laughed.  Yes, I would have laughed with her if not for my seven year old unconscious body. The healer already inspected my body and from what I've seen my body is right now, I was just overwhelmed by the smoke. But it was somewhat heartwarming that someone at least cared for me enough to plead for help though.

"Little boy, you got it all wrong" the healer said reassuringly, "she won't die, I did my check up and she was just fine so you don't need to worry anymore"

Stammering quite a lot, he swung the large doors open and ran outside, most likely from the embarrassment he felt. Ahh, I missed this feeling of laughing at your small sibling for doing an embarrassing action. If you could see my state right now, you would think I lost my mind for laughing so much.

"Well Miss, good day" the healer said and closed the half-opened door behind her. Luisa stood there, doing absolutely nothing. This is one of the few times I felt awkward knowing she's just standing there yet I'm still awake. The children I saved earlier were all having a check up and clearly, they are not present to ease the awkwardness.

"Ojou-sama.." She croaked and a large thud was heard, "I'm glad, so glad..."

Guilt spread like hellfire. I almost gave up on living and now that I'm here, in front of a crying person who holds me dear. The door opened once more and heel taps were resonating at the floor, gently walking towards me. I wonder who could it be ?

"Madam !" Luisa yelped so loudly I could hear the still evident croaks. Madam..

Maybe mother ?

"Luisa, what happened ?" The woman who was labeled 'Madam' asked. Telling the full story without hesitation, Luisa was clearly trying hard not to cry louder than she already was. The lady didn't talk for the whole story and sometimes I wonder if she's still there, to which the universe seems to answer by making the lady tap her shoe impatiently whenever Luisa stops.

"A-and-" Luisa couldn't take it anymore, she burst into tears and ran away like a girl rejected by her crush would. The lady, disappointed, stopped tap and was about to leave when another voice became apparent in the room. How odd of me, to not at least felt the presence of the now apparent male.

"Is this really alright, Madam Liza ?" The voice asked with a playful tone. The woman being questioned scowled and hurried in leaving the room. The male voice, now alone with me, whispered incomprehensible words in my ear. Unknown fear shook me all over and my grasp in my mental world loosen, causing me to fall to the dark abyss of sleep.

"Ojou-sama ?" A voice rattled in my head, I grabbed the nearest soft object I can touch and covered my head.

"Ojou-sama, your food might grow cold so please eat while it's hot" Luisa told me. Quickly taking off by the mere mention of food, my body shivered from the unexpected coldness that hit my body once I took off my bed sheet. The tray of varied food at my corner, Luisa smiled at me welcomingly. I smiled back at her as three heads popped out of the foot of my bed.

The eldest, Einar, most likely ten to twelve years old, was sitting on a chair and smiling at me whilst the other three were goofing off at the said location. I chuckled. Ah, back at my world, saving people from burning buildings is already a job description. If not for the bezoar I took before entering the building, I would have died there. I shook my head, it seems my negative thoughts are still in my mind somewhere.

I looked at the four children in front of me. All were smiling brightly and playing. It feels nice that I, and only I, was able to prolong their lives. I almost felt my heart at ease and assured that living today wasn't the wrong choice. This almost made me feel like this could be my chance to change from being the avert gazing, teenage otaku girl I once was. I almost laughed at the idea.

The children suddenly stopped what they were doing and lined up at the sides of my bed. I looked at them with eyes of curiosity. What were they doing ?

"Thank you for saving our lives, we are eternally grateful" bowing at my dumbstruck face, they each said those words with as much sincereness as they could possibly muster. Well, I was expecting a thank you or a little performance but not an overall show of bowing heads.

Trying to convince them to put their heads up but failing, words I didn't think throughly went out of my mouth.

"Luisa, a visitor came here, right ?" No words came out from her mouth. My eyes widen like saucers once I fully comprehend what I just said. Yet there was this small feeling of mine that Luisa might not tell me who it was.

"Luisa, WAS there a visitor who came in here when I was unconscious ?" I asked her with a tone of suspicion. I took note that she was sweating beads of sweat the moment I brought up the discussion. She was also averting her eyes. Not good.

"Luisa ?"