Chapter Thirteen.

If it works the photo is of Jake.

Maggie didn't tell anyone that Jake was taking her out to dinner, not even Delia. A part of her was afraid that if she told someone they'd convince her it was a bad idea and deep down she knew it probably was.

"It's just dinner," She said to herself as she turned in front of her floor length mirror.

She had dinner with Jake more times than she could count but no that she was dating Liam it felt almost unfair to him, Jake had cost her Liam before and she didn't want that to happen again. She liked Liam, she was happy with him. Taking a deep breath and smoother her dress she shook her head, one dinner with Jake wasn't going to change her feelings for Liam.

There was a knock on her door and she hurried to answer it, finding Jake on the other side. He had cleaned up, wearing black slacks and a dark red button up shirt.

"Hi," She said, suddenly nervous.

"You look beautiful," He said.

"Thank you."

He green satin dress was modest and not nearly as flashy as some of the things that Artemis would wear. It was slightly lower cut and ended at the knee, she'd curled her hair but still wasn't as much of a looker as what Jake was used to.

"So, where are we going?" She asked as they exited her apartment and walked to the street.

"Well, I thought maybe if it's okay with you we could eat at my place."

"That's fine."

"Are you okay? You seem nervous." He said.

"No, don't be ridiculous. Why would I be nervous?"

He laughed as he opened the door for her to climb into his truck, he knew her better than almost anyone and he knew when she was over thinking.

They parked in front of his house and he walked around to open the door for her, she climbed down and followed him into his small house, glancing around she was still slightly nervous.

"No dirty laundry on the floor, did you clean?" She teased.

"As a matter of fact I did."

She laughed as she followed him into the kitchen and he poured her a large glass of wine, handing it to her before pouring his own.

"Since when do you drink wine?" She asked, taking a long sip of hers.

"I don't know," He admitted, finishing his in one swallow and then pouring another.

"Jake....."

"Just have a seat in the living room and I'll get dinner."

She waited a minute, chewing on her bottom lip and watching him move around the kitchen. He seemed nervous and seeing him like that set her already shot nerves into a tailspin.

"I can help," She offered.

He shook his head and she took a step closer, turning quickly he ducked down and before she had a chance to react pressed his lips against hers. She barely had time to register what was happening before he pulled away.

"There, now that's out of the way maybe we can both relax."

He turned back to whatever he was cooking leaving Maggie standing speechless, turning she walked on wobbly legs into the living room and collapsed onto the old brown couch. She took another long drink of wine, hoping it would calm her nerves.