Chapter Seven: A Death in the Family

Then Jason went looking for his real mother. Martha worried, but she didn't say anything as she watched him leave. She was eleven now after all, she could control her emotions. She told Dick that she had a bad feeling about Jason's little mission, but he reassured her that he would be fine. He was Robin, he had trained for so long to get as good as he was and she knew that. Still, she couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong.

When Jason did come home, it was in a body bag. Bruce refused to tell her the specifics, telling her she was too young. Dick had never seen her so angry before in his life.

"I'm too young?! He was too young too, dad! He was supposed to have a better life, he was supposed to be here with us. Don't you dare try to hide this from me, he was my brother and I want to know exactly what happened to him!"

And so Bruce told them. He told them about Jason's capture and his mother setting him up. He told them about the torture and the crowbar. Bruce told them about the explosion and how he wasn't fast enough. Dick didn't blame Bruce, he knew that it was nobody's fault but the Joker's. Martha on the other hand, believed that Bruce could have saved him if he hadn't been so focused on The Mission. Jason's death tore father and daughter apart.