Chapter One: The Baby

The doorbell to Wayne Manor rang at nine o'clock on a Friday night in March, and Dick Grayson ran towards it at a speed that could rival that of the boy he was expecting. Wally had told him earlier in the day that he might possibly stop by tonight, and Dick had been anxious to find out if he would. Instead of finding the redheaded speedster on the other side of the door, he found a baby girl in a basket with two envelopes tucked in beside her. Slowly and ever so carefully, he picks her up and brings her inside.

He was conflicted. The ten year-old Robin didn't know what would become of the baby or why she was there in the first place. Dick had always wanted a little sister or a sibling at all, really. Maybe he could convince Bruce to keep her, he took him in after all. She'd probably have a much happier life with them than she would in an orphanage or jumping from foster family to foster family.

"Bruce! Alfred! Come here quickly," Dick yelled.

His yell woke the baby girl from her peaceful slumber and she began to cry. Dick took her out of the basket that she was in on his lap, and held her in his arms. He began to rock her back and forth gently, doing his best to calm the poor thing. By the time Bruce and Alfred arrived, she had quieted down again and was looking up at Dick in fascination. He couldn't help but smile down at her.

Bruce's eyes went wide at the sight of his ten year-old son sitting on the couch with a baby. Oh dear lord, what had he done now? With a deep breath, Bruce approached Dick slowly with Alfred behind him. Bruce noticed the basket that sat beside Dick held two unopened envelopes. Part of Bruce wanted to admire how cute this was, because it really was kind of adorable. The other part of him wanted to know why the hell there was a baby in his living room, and that's the part that won.

"Dick, care to explain the infant in my house?," Bruce asked.

"Honestly, I have no idea. She was just in this basket on the doorstep, but this envelope has your name on it," Dick said, holding the envelope.

Bruce began to read aloud, since there was there no way he was getting away with hiding this from Dick this time.

Dear Bruce,

I'm sorry for leaving her with you, but it's the best for her. I have nothing to give her and you can give her the world. She's your daughter, and I understand if you need to take a test to prove it to yourself though. This isn't a decision I take lightly, but I need a fresh start away from Gotham and taking an infant with me isn't going to help with that.

Don't think I'm not aware of your ward, Richard. This will most likely be a handful and I apologize once more for doing this. If I had any other choice, I promise you that I'd take it. I have no remaining family or friends to leave her with. When she gets older, promise you won't let her go looking for me, I won't be able to handle the shame of this decision upfront. She can't end up in an orphanage, that's why I brought her to you.

The other letter I included is for her when she's older, when she's ready to hear the truth. Don't read it before giving it to her, don't keep it from her, and don't try to make me out to be a good person. I'm selfish for doing such a thing, and I'm very aware of this fact. You may name her whatever you'd like, but I ask that her middle name be Ridley. I always wanted a daughter with that name. Please, take the best care of her that you can and keep her safe.

Sincerely,

A.

P.S. Her birthday is on December 8, she has hazel eyes, and she's allergic to the chemicals in scented soaps.

Everyone stood in silence when Bruce had finished reading the letter until Dick broke that silence with a happy 'whoop'. Alfred grinned at the boy and at his new granddaughter while Bruce couldn't quite believe what was happening. He had a daughter, a three month old daughter who was now his responsibility. Shock and happiness were fighting each other, both wanting to be his dominant emotion. Happiness won.

"We have to buy baby things! And we have to give her a name and we've got to take her to Leslie to get all of her vaccinations," Bruce exclaimed.

"I think we should name her Barbara," Dick said.

"Master Dick, Miss Gordon will not find you naming your little sister after her endearing," Alfred said with a long-suffering sigh.

"What about Martha? Martha Ridley Wayne has a nice ring to it, don't you think?"

"That's perfect, Dick. Thank you. Now, you know you're going to have to step up as her big brother, right?," Bruce asks.

"Of course. I'm gonna fight off anyone who tries to hurt her and I'm gonna fight off her boyfriends with you. I'll teach her everything she needs to know about life and I'll make sure she's always happy," Dick said seriously.