34. ISOLATION

34. Isolation

Zai's POV

I was eating the take out Aaron bought for me when Amir sat across the dining table.

"Let's eat," I asked him politely.

"Thanks," he responded.

I continued eating knowing that he was staring at me. Something in my heart was weird. I was glad that my husband seemed to be jealous, I think. But I am also mad that he might be willing to give me away to Aaron.

"I have a question," I told him after finishing my food.

Amir only nodded, still sitting there with both of elbows on the table, hands closed on each other.

"Why Aaron?" I asked, my voice was cracking.

Now I realize that despite Aaron's presence and sweet gestures, it still hurts like hell when your very husband seems to be giving you away like a used toy.

Amir closed his eyes then opened them, meeting my hurtful gaze.

"Because I know he can love you and take care of you, more than I ever could," he answered gently.

There was sincerity and hurt in his voice. But there was also firmness and clarity in his eyes. So I looked away, stood up, wiped the tears streaming down my face.

"If that's what you really want, then okay. Perhaps after a month, I would learn to like him too. But right now, I cannot live here with you. The hurt that..." I stopped as I started sobbing so hard.

Then no longer taking it, I walked towards the other side and stood up near him. He merely just sat there and I raised my hand and...

SLAP!

I slapped his left cheek and saw it reddened.

"I am still your wife and how dare you send a man, a non – mahram man to fetch me, to be alone with me in the car," I cried out to him.

He touched his cheek then gaze at me with apology. He stood up, touched my arms but I hissed him away.

"Are you really that indecent? Have you no respect for me nor for yourself?" I lashed out at him.

He pressed his lips, as if wanting to say something but went against it.

"Come on, say all the nasty things you want to say to me! Is that how little you really see me now? Giving me away like an unwanted possession of yours? I can't believe this. I cannot ... my mind and my heart cannot grasp the idea that just like that you easily turned away from me, from us, from this marriage. YOU PROMISED ME YOU WOULD NEVER EVER HURT ME!!!!" I exploded and started hitting my fist on his chest.

He simply let him hit me and that made me more desperate for answers.

"Why? Why do you want to leave me? Why don't you want me anymore? Why don't you love me anymore? What did I do you wrong? What?" I said.

My hands stopped hitting him as weariness took over me. I sat on the floor but still crying so hard and looking down. He just stood there and I heard him sobbed a bit.

"Is it because you still love her? ZJ. You still love her right?" I uttered.

It has been bugging me for months now. That could be the only explanation I could think of. Maybe Amir realized that losing ZJ was a big mistake. That's why he wants a divorce, to chase her in Egypt. Maybe it has always been her.

He didn't answer so I stood up.

"Answer me," I demanded from him.

He stared at my eyes with a blank expression.