The Battle for Winterfell

"I love you, Sandor," Aurora told him once the two of them were dressed. He pulled her to him again and crashed their lips together. She chuckled when they broke apart. "If you keep doing that, we'll never make it back to camp." She backed away and fastened her cloak around her. "I love ya too," Sandor finally said, making the young woman smile. The two made their way back to camp. No sooner were they in sight of the rest of the Brotherhood did the wolf whistles and cheers start.

Aurora's face turned bright red as she sat down on the ground across from Beric and Thoros. They gave her a knowing smile before returning to their conversation. "If luck is on our side, we should reach Winterfell in a few days time. Rumor is Sansa Stark plans to retake Winterfell with the help of her bastard brother and, if that is true, she will need all the numbers she can get."

Aurora nodded. She knew how dangerous their mission was, but she still knew she needed to help Sansa at all costs. She promised Ned. That seemed like an age ago. Sandor could practically see the gears turning in Aurora's head. "I'm sure the girl's alright. She's got that Stark gumption after all." Aurora chuckled. "Yeah...you're right." Aurora laid down to rest, knowing the next few days were going to be trying and exhausting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just as Beric had promised, the Brotherhood arrived near Winterfell a few days later. They could hear the din of battle a long way off and spurred their horses to move faster. Aurora saw Sansa at the top of the hill. She breathed a sigh of relief before turning her attention to the battle in front of them. "Aurora, I want ya to go with the Stark girl," Sandor told her in a low voice.

"You're joking? Please tell me you're joking." The tone in her voice even made Sandor wince. "That is never going to happen, Sandor. She's fine up there. It looks like she's got her own protection and I'll be damned if I go sit up there looking pretty with her while you are down her putting your life in danger. I'm fighting." There was a finality to her words that no one could argue with and quicker than they expected, the Brotherhood had joined the fray.

Sandor was angry. Why couldn't Aurora understand that he was just trying to protect her? He rode off with the rest of the Brotherhood toward the battle. Bolton men were run through left and right, but then again so were the men in the other ragtag army. Sandor tried to keep an eye on Aurora the whole time and, for the most part, he was successful. Until the army charged on the gates of Winterfell. When that happened, all Seven Hells broke loose.

He lost sight of her for one brief moment and, when Sandor's eyes found Aurora again, his heart sank. She was clutching her side with her free hand while still trying to fight. She killed the man in front of her before her mouth formed a "O" as she gasped and fell down in pain. Another soldier appeared in front of her, sword raised to strike. Sandor got there first, running him through just as Jon Snow's army and the army from the Vale broke through the gates. The battle was over. They'd won. Sandor scooped Aurora up in his arms and began carrying her inside as her breathing became shallow.

"Aurora,stay awake, ya hear me," Sandor grumbled. "Aurora?!" a femininevoice called out. Sandor looked up to see Sansa running toward them. "Isshe alright?" Aurora gave Sansa a small smile. "I-I'm f-fine, Sansa.Just glad to see you alive." Sandor's brows furrowed as he heard her voicegrowing weaker and saw her eyes beginning to close. "Aurora, dammit. Stayawake! Don't fuckin' do this ta me." Sandor's voice sounded so broken, onecould almost forget who he was. "I l-love you," was the last thingAurora said before her eyes closed. "AURORA!"    

(a/n: We're nearing the end of our story. I really hope you're still enjoying it. Thank you so much for the support and encouragement.)