A Trial By Combat

(a/n: I apologize for taking so long to update. I'm getting back into the groove of working and school. I hope this chapter makes up for the wait.)

Aurora was shaking as they continued to ride on. "Where are we going?" she whispered to the man riding behind her. He merely chuckled and replied, "You'll know when we get there." Aurora felt the fear beginning to melt away and anger replace it. "What do you want with us?" He said nothing for a moment. Finally, Aurora got her answer. "That man? The Hound? He has crimes to pay for." Aurora cocked her head. "And me?" He laughed again, his breath making her cringe. "Don't worry. I'm sure we'll find some use for ya."

Aurora took in her surroundings as quickly as possible. She knew she had to try and get away. Without really thinking things through, Aurora threw her head back into the man's nose. He used his left hand to grab at his probably now broken nose and Aurora thanked God for that as well as the fact that he'd made her ride side saddle. She slipped off the horse and took off running, knowing that's what Sandor would want her to do.

She didn't make it far before she felt herself being picked up by the back of her shirt and hoisted back onto the horse. "That was clever, but yer not outrunning a horse, now are ya?" Aurora could hear the anger in his voice as he practically dumped her on the horse in front of him. "Try something like that again and you'll find yerself on the wrong end of my blade, got it?" Knowing she had no other choice, Aurora nodded.

They rode for several hours before stopping outside an inn. The man pulled Aurora roughly from the horse and practically dragged her inside behind the rest. Aurora flinched when Sandor hit his head on the low doorframe. Well, low for him anyway. Aurora surveyed her surroundings once they entered the inn, all the while trying to move as close to Sandor as possible.

Sandor groaned as they finally pulled the bag off his head. His eyes quickly searched for Aurora's smaller frame, but instead found someone else. "What are ya doin' with the Stark girl?" Aurora whipped her head around to follow his gaze and sure enough, there was Arya. She was glaring at Sandor, oblivious to Aurora's presence at first until Sandor continued, "Where's the woman? The one I was travelin' with?"

The man shoved Aurora forward into Sandor's back. "Hey! Easy there, asshole," she snapped causing Arya to finally look at her. "Why have you got her tied up? She hasn't done anything!" the girl cried. "Arya," Aurora warned her softly. The man standing in from of Sandor peeked around the large man to look at Aurora. She glared at him before turning her attention back to Arya. "Let her go."

The man pushed Aurora yet again, only this time he let go of her arms. "Do you think you could be, I don't know, gentle?! Geez." Before Aurora could say anything else, she felt two small arms wrapped around her middle. "Hey there, little wolf," Aurora whispered, smiling down at Arya. "What about him?" Aurora glanced up at Sandor, but he wouldn't meet her gaze. "They're going to give him a trial by combat," Arya whispered, catching Aurora's attention again.

They were soon ushered out of the inn again, this time a bit more nicely. "Trial for what?" Aurora asked quietly as she walked with Arya. A young man was on Arya's other side, listening intently. "Mycah. My friend. He killed him. I'm sure he's killed others too. That's what he does." Aurora could hear the passion in Arya's voice. "I assume a trial by combat means, if Sandor wins, he will be free to go?" The young man next to Arya nodded. With that confirmation, Aurora found herself praying for Sandor's safety. The last thing she wanted was to see him hurt.

By the time the sun set, the group found themselves being ushered into cave. "Beric Dondarrion," Sandor growled out upon seeing a man with an eye patch. Aurora stood as close to Arya as possible, her hands resting on the girl's shoulders. Before Aurora could blink, the men had released Sandor and gave him back his sword. The man Aurora assumed was the leader, Dondarrion, lit his sword on fire and Aurora watch Sandor's face contort into what could only be described as fear.

The fight began and Aurora held her breath. What if Sandor lost? The young woman couldn't help but worry for her safety should the giant of a man be defeated. Meanwhile, Arya was screaming for Dondarrion to kill Sandor. Blows were exchanged back and forth until finally, Sandor hit Dondarrion in the shoulder, nearly slicing the appendage off. Arya was angry and Aurora could tell. Still, Aurora let out a sigh of relief when Dondarrion hit the ground and Sandor was announced the victor.

Sandor's eyes scanned the cave for Aurora. He found her standing behind Arya and he quickly sheathed his sword. He approached the two females and the older one beamed at him, taking the man by surprise. She was genuinely happy he was alive, unlike the young wolf in front of her. Arya broke away from Aurora and grabbed the nearest weapon before lunging at Sandor. She was stopped before she could inflict any damage. "Let it alone, girl. The Lord of Light has decided he is innocent of his crimes." Arya fought against the man holding her while Sandor slipped from the cave, Aurora at his heels.

When they reached Stranger, Aurora looked back over her shoulder. "Ya comin', woman?" Aurora bit her lip and sighed before turning back to Sandor. "Do you think she'll be alright?" she asked him. Sandor looked over her head toward where Arya was standing, glaring. "She'll be fine. They'll look after her." Aurora nodded and let Sandor lift her back up onto Stranger's back. After Sandor climbed up behind her, Aurora leaned back and tilted her head up to look at him. "Glad you survived. I was worried there for a minute, you know." He chuckled darkly. "Ya don't have to worry about me. I've survived worse than the likes of Beric Dondarrion." He met her gaze and the smile on her lips was far too inviting. He knew she felt the same when she reached back to pull his head down so her lips could meet his.