⚜️CHAPTER-32⚜️The secret revealed⚜️

After everyone left to give me some time alone, with my husband, I sat next to him and held his free hand, enveloping it with mine. I kiss his hand, laying my cheeks on it, hoping I can feel even just a little warmth coming from him. Droplets of tears fall on his hand as I sob.
God. I miss him.
I miss his warm touch.
Furthermore, I miss his intoxicating scent.
I miss everything about him. The way he smiled, the way he stared ever so lovingly at me every day. I miss his sneaky little tricks that can make my heart flutter a million times.

" Hey, sneaky Clyde. I miss you so much.
Please, wake up soon. Alexander misses his daddy's bedtime story. He doesn't know yet what happened to you. I'm scared just thinking what it might cause him if he sees you finally. So, please help me, wake up for us, Will you? I love you, Clyde." I said to him in between my son. My heart ached a million times, seeing him in this state. I feel so hopeless and invalid without him. Like, I lost one leg and one arm.
I stood up from the chair and bent down to kiss his forehead and caress his cheeks.
" I'll be seeing you again later, my love," I whispered in his ears before standing up straight and heading for the door to ask Claire to be with Clyde for a bit, but when I opened it, I heard a commotion outside. I quickly opened the door and was stunned to see Harris, my ex-boyfriend, Nicole's husband, standing outside Clyde's room with an older Lady wearing a black dress that suited her for attending a funeral.
" Finally, Alexandria. We came here to talk to you. But these two women won't allow us to see you.
How are you? I'm so sorry for what my wife did. I never thought she was capable of doing what she has done. Please accept my sincere apologies." he pleaded, his face full of distress, an inch of stubble growing on his cheek making him look older than his actual age. He has some dark rims around his eyes like he had a hard time sleeping at night these past few days.
What can I say, it's probably hard also for him to face everything, particularly after what his wife did. He is most likely having a problem facing many critics throwing on him, especially his public figure and a Mayor of this town to be specific. But my curiosity bore to the woman standing next to him. She looked somewhat familiar to me, but I don't know where I have seen her face from before. My trance was cut off by the disapproving voice of Claire.
"No. You need to leave. Or else I'll call security! We don't need your sympathy nor your pathetic excuse for your wife's doing. Damage has been done." Claire angrily walked to Harris and started to push them away.
It was then the woman next to Harris spoke.
" Please, Mrs Harlington, hear me out." She pleaded with tears streaming down her cheeks. Whatever this woman needs to say, it's so heavy that I can feel it by just staring at her face.
" No! Leave! Don't mess up my Family!" Claire spat, still pushing them away, while Harris shielded his arm from the woman next to him to protect her from whatever might happen.
I need to stop this! I have a strong feeling that I have to listen to what that woman has to say.
" Claire, please stop," I said to her with a pleading look.
" No. Alec, are you out of your mind? Don't you dare talk to them!" Claire's voice started to rise, irritating me.
" I understand what you feel right now, Claire, I hate it too! But I have the feeling that I need to hear them out, it will be the first and last time.
It will never happen again, so please, let me hear them even just for a few minutes please Claire?" I said to her with my eyes not leaving hers to let her know, I am serious right now and there's no backing out.
" She's right, Claire. Let them talk to Alexandria. Come, let's go inside and check on your brother." The deep baritone voice of Claire's husband made her stop and just stared at him for a moment. Like, she cannot believe that he's here. The last thing I knew before this thing happened was that they had a big fight, and he flew back to Russia.
" Why are you here? I thought we agreed not to see each other anymore. " Claire's shaken voice made his face dim and clenched his teeth. He quickly closed the distance between them, enveloping her in his big, warm body. Claire tried to push him away, but he never let her go. Eventually, Claire gave up and just cried with all her heart's content to his chest, embracing him back. Vladimir Orlov stared at me, motioning for me to bring Harris and the woman to whatever place I can bring them, as long as it was out of Claire's sight.
I nod my head and motion to them to follow me to the next room. We all walk inside. Luckily, my son wasn't there yet. I think he's having fun wherever my dad bought him. I saw my mom cleaning the mess and making my bed nice when we came in, and she gasped in shock seeing my guest.
"Oh my, Marybeth? Is that you?" She exclaimed.
My mom walked straight to us and hugged the woman next to Harris.
" Yes, it's me. It's been a long time, my friend. I'm sorry I only showed up now." The woman my mom called Marybeth smiled sadly and hugged my mom back.
" Nonsense! I'm so happy to see you again! Alexandria, do you remember the photo album I showed you when I'm still young, she's the woman who's always with me in all the photos. She's been my best friend ever since high school.
God, it's been so Long. How are you, my friend?" She led her to the single bed and they both sat together hand in hand as no one can separate them.
Damn! I have no idea what's happening.
When I glanced at Harris, I saw he is not even taken aback by what was happening in front of us, like he knew something from before and I had to figure it out.
" Harris. Can you please explain to me what's going on?" Harris stared back at me and pointed out the woman my mother called her friend. The woman that I know by the name of Marybeth glanced at me and sadly smiled. She patted the hand of my mother as she spoke.
" I'm sorry Margaret, and Alexandria, for what my daughter has done to your family. It is all because of me. Please forgive me on behalf of my daughter Nicole." She said solemnly, tears streaming down her cheeks like it's never-ending.
I'm surprised. My mother's face has mixed emotions.
Confused, shocked by what her friend revealed.
" What do you mean, Marybeth? Of course, it's not your fault. You can't control what's going on in your daughter's head. You're talking nonsense." My mom responded, not taking Marybeth's words seriously.
"Margaret, listen to me. When I said those words to you, I meant it. No joking around you know me right.'' She said,
" Wait? Hold on a second, Mrs Marybeth, so you were saying you have a part of what Nicole did to me?"
" No. I never thought that she was capable of what she had done, but I must admit that I'm a part of why she became like this." I was puzzled.
" What do you mean Marybeth?" My mom's confused face stared at her long-lost best friend.
" Please be specific and tell us straight to the point, Mrs Marybeth," I asked her, my voice laced with growing irritation. My mom stared at me and was supposed to scold me for being impatient with what her friend might say.
" It's fine Margaret, forgive Alexandria for not being straight to the point. I'm a bit scared of what I'm going to spill. First to you, my dear friend." she reached for my mother's hands and placed them in between her palms. Confused, my mother just stared at her.
" Forgive me, my friend, as I committed a very wrongful act to you. Remember your first boyfriend, Nicolas? He was the father of my Daughter, Nicole." There she spilt the beans that made my mom gasp in surprise. Her face has mixed emotions of pain and betrayal toward her best friend.
" How did you guys meet? How long?" My mom asked, but then again she gasped as an idea popped into her head.
" Nicole looked a bit older than my daughter. I lost contact with you the same year as my boyfriend of four years disappeared and left me without breaking up. Ohh dear, What have you done?" My mom said,
" Forgive me, Margaret. I was so jealous of you. You never know that I met Nicolas first before you.
I liked him already the first time I saw him, but he takes an interest in you. I have hidden my feelings for him for almost three years, but it just grows bigger and bigger that I cannot contain it anymore inside of me. Furthermore, I was supposed to tell you how I feel about Nicolas, but then there's this one event that we all three must attend, and you didn't show up, making Nicolas so upset. We drank the night and woke up together in the same room, I gave myself to him, and he cannot forgive himself for cheating on you, but he can't deny the fact that he likes what we shared.
We have hidden our relationship from you for a year, but then I got pregnant, and he had no guts to break up with you, so we decided to move away. Please forgive me for betraying you." She held my mom's hands tight in between her palm and cried wholeheartedly.
I saw my mom caress her friends' hair, the look of petty was obvious on her face. I am proud of her for facing this thing with her head up and understanding the situation. Though I see a few tears run down her cheeks, I can see there's no hatred in her eyes.
" Shush, it's ok now, I forgive you, my friend, it's in the past. I have moved on already, thanks to Alexandria's pursuant father, I have a bright and loving daughter. Now tell us, why did Nicole do this unthinkable act? Who made her like this?" My mom asked in concern.
" Thank you, my friend, it felt like the heavy burden on my shoulder became lighter hearing your forgiveness of my sin. It was her father's wrongdoing. After knowing, you found another love. He changed completely, he blames us for losing you. When he heard that you're getting married he became frantic and tried to stop your wedding, but then he saw how happy you were in that white wedding gown, belly swelling as if you were bearing your first child. I thought he would give up on you, but I was wrong. We move where you move, following every single day of your life, until his obsession went to your daughter who looks the same as you.
He watched her growing up. Completely forgetting about our daughter." She paused for a bit, inhaling deeply. I can see the sorrow on her face, it was so deep I'm surprised she remained this strong for all those years. Hearing her talking about her husband's deed made the hair on my body stand up from the chill I'm feeling right now. I never once thought that someone was stalking me. All I remember is that there's this Old man that I see every day cleaning the vicinity of the school where I went in high school and even in college.
" Ohh, my god! Is he the same old guy I always see as a janitor in the school?!" I asked stunned by all that I'm hearing right now.