Chapter 22

**** Kyle watched as his sisters, father, grandfather and all the kids from the 3B Camp rode in a large circle around Carlyn. She stood on Pepper's bare back, spinning Old Glory, so that it blew, snapped and waved in the wind.

When the announcer, a local favorite D.J. asked for attention for of the National Anthem, Carlyn immediately lowered herself onto Pepper's back and raised the flag high in the air. Every horse and rider in the ring stopped and stood silently. Every person in the entire arena stood or sat quietly as well.

They stood proudly either with their right hand over their heart or their hat on their left shoulder and right hand over their heart.

He watched as Drina stepped onto a tall platform in the very center of the arena. She was dressed all in white, blonde hair pulled back. She raised a microphone to her lips and began to sing the national anthem, putting everything she had into that song.

As was the tradition from the very first rodeo twenty years before, the first row had been reserved for honored guests

As was the tradition from the very first rodeo twenty years before, the first row had been reserved for honored guests. This included members of the military currently on leave or in the Reserves. The center of this row was taken up by fourteen honored guests - veterans, eight of which had served in Vietnam four had been in The Gulf War and two in Iraqi Freedom. Five stood at attention with the assistance from a member of the local Junior R.O.T.C. Four sat at attention and saluted from their wheel chairs. They were a close, patriotic community intensely proud of those serving their country.

It was an amazing intro. Kyle had watched Carlyn rehearse her routine several times. She had chosen one of me mom's famous solos and played it throughout each practice session. Both she and the horse knew every step and movement and were in perfect time with the music. He was so proud of her performance. Pan sat by his side, a huge doggy grin across her face, and Hope sat on the Sheriff's other side with her K-9 tail happily wagging from side to side.

The first performances were trick roping and riding. All the kids who had spent the summer on the ranch took turns showing off the skills they'd learned.

Then came the competitions, beginning with the ladies team roping. It was Ava and Kaylee's third time to compete. Kyle grinned, thinking of how different Ava was when he and his twin sister had first come to the ranch all those years ago. Drina's band had been touring nonstop and they were all exhausted. Drina had taken a three month hiatus at the ranch to rest, relax and spend time reconnecting with her younger siblings. Since the death of their parents, Drina had taken full responsibility for the twins and the wear and tear had been showing.

So the songbird had taken the kids to the 3B Ranch and the twins had bonded with Beau and Rowdy immediately. Drina watched her brother and sister flourish under the supervision, care and watchful consideration and tutelage of the staff.

The twins had hit it off with the entire staff,  but had bonded with a few specific individuals. Ava and Kaylee had become best friends within minutes and Ava had begun to grow and blossom.

While she had always been friendly and relatively happy, she was now outgoing, vivacious and full of life. Kyle remembered how Ava and Kaylee had hit it off immediately and had been inseparable ever since. Kaylee had made many of the changes in Ava's life possible with her undieing support, encouragement and assistance.

Beau had worked closely with a local leather worker and physical therapist to develop a custom made saddle for Ava. It had opened a whole new set of life experiences for the girl.

Kaylee had been thrown from a horse,  then  trampled a year prior to their summer vacation at the ranch and had develop a fear of the large animals. Beau, Rowdy and Ava had been instrumental in helping her to conquer that fear and regain her love of riding. Beau had Kaylee smiling and petting Kitt within moments of their arrival. He had encouraged her to ride with him to the ranch and she had been entranced both with the horse and the man ever since.

The girls had learned to rope from horseback together, which had only strengthened their bond.

***

"It's time for the grand finale folks, for the excitement y'all have been waitin' for. The bull riders!"

A cheer filled the arena. Charity shuddered. A ball of dread had been building in her stomach, but she couldn't understand why. She looked around her.

"Something's wrong." She shook her head. 'No. You're just worried about Kyle's ride.' Nodding she straightened her back. 'That's it. Just worried.'

Fortunately, the ride went well

Fortunately, the ride went well....mostly.